questionable Kona Fabric

fincheloverMarch 31, 2011

I bought some black fabric from Walmart and it was a see thru fabric so I went on line and order some on line Kona fabric. It said 100% cotton. It was also labeled thus but when I got it the fabric felt more like a sstiny shine fabric. Is anyone else having problelms with fabric they are purchasing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

I have noticed some of Kona's fabrics look more polished than they used to. Didn't think to ask why, but I'm not fond of the new look.

beverly

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 7:27PM
teresa_nc7

Try washing it it before you cut. It might just be a new sizing they're using to make the cloth look all shiny and new on the bolt.....like we really want that look in our quilts?

Teresa

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 8:45AM
magothyrivergirl

I do not think all the Kona labeled cotton fabric is the real"Kaufman Kona". I think places are trading off the 'Kona' wording, and we have to be vigilant if we want the real Kaufman Kona. This has been my experience, and the price isn't necessarily cheaper, so you really think you are buying Kaufman Kona (such as at Joannes).
I am curious if this may be the case.
Also, Kaufman has an Organic Cotton Kona, which may have a different sheen, as well as a Sateen cotton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robert Kaufman Kona

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 9:21AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

After not being completely happy with the Kona Cotton I bought at Joannes, I usually only buy it from Hancock's of Paducah. But, I've been happy with what I've gotten from my fav quilt shop in Indiana, too.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: HOP Kona Cotton

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 10:05AM
K8Orlando

I've had the same experiences with Kona, especially the black. Now I only buy it from Hancock's of Paducah. I get the wide one because it seems to make a difference too. Nicely woven, real Kaufman Kona black is a wonderful fabric; everything similar is disappointing.

Kate

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™