Question for PBs: Expansion joint between deck/spa?

DocZJuly 8, 2011

I know you have to have an expansion area (foam border and later mastic type material) between the conrete deck and flagstone coping, but do you also need an expansion joint between the concrete deck and raised spa? Our deck was recently poured directly against our 18" raised spa with no foam boarder or spacer. Is this ok?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

DocZ,
This area is often ignored, but it should also have an expansion joint. Joints are particularly helpful if the deck is poured all around the back of the spa.
If the deck is only 3' or so, then the deck installer may be counting on the nearest expansions on either side of the spa to do the job.
Concrete generally shrinks slightly after its poured.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 12:14PM
DocZ

Thanks golfgeek.... I'm more worried about where the deck actually meets the raised spa wall.. Will this put more stress on the spa wall or deck, and/or impact its integrity?

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 12:36PM
golfgeek

DocZ,
If the deck is poured against the entire raised spa then yes, it should have an expansion joint.
Location of the spa in relation to the pool and the area of contact between the deck and spa may be factors that caused your concrete contractor to choose the method he did.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™