Help mostly with kitchen layout but also MB
Hi. This is my first posting and I really need your help. We’ve been tinkering with this design for a while but never seem to work out the quirks in our layout.
We bought our 1922 home (1372 sf, 3BR, 1 ¾ bath) in a great neighborhood in So Cal 3 years ago. It has some original Craftsman features, which are holding up well. But the awkward and ugly 1970s kitchen and equally awful bath show their age. Also, access to master is only through ugly bath or middle BR.
1. Open up kitchen and improve flow by removing wall between hall and office; combine with kitchen. Install FD to new deck.
2. Update kitchen with basic but functional appliances (36” range, bottom-freezer fridge) and Ikea-type cabinets, etc.
3. Create separate entrance to master, without passing through a bath or BR. (We thought about opening up existing hall all the way to the MB, but we’d lose 2 closets.)
4. Create larger master bath to include combo tub/shower. My DH takes showers; I take baths. We’d love to have separate fixtures, but we’re short on space.
5. Move WD from basement to kitchen.
1. Zones: I’ve read about the importance of zones and am concerned the fridge is too far away from sink, but I'm having trouble relocating it. Any ideas?
2. Aesthetics: There’s a clear symmetry and elegance to existing LR and DR with clean, white trim on fireplace mantel and built-ins (see photos below). I thought about creating a raised bar separating DR from kitchen with similar trim and openings on either side to mimic symmetry of built-ins, but not sure there’s space. Ideas?
3. Addition? Does anyone think a small addition (i.e. cantilevered bump out) to the MB would be a good idea? We thought extending it 2-3 feet would give us more room for closets/bath but none of the GC or architects thought it would be worth the money.
A little about us:
1. I have a DH and DS (5yo).
2. We use our DR all the time and like the open kitchen.
3. We use a MW but not as a matching built-in so I haven’t indicated it on layout.
4. We love to cook.
Existing layout: From Labeled CAD drawings
Proposed layout: From Labeled CAD drawings
Whole house layout: From Existing layout
Image from LR, thru DR, to kitchen (note white trim): From March 4, 2013
Image of fireplace mantel and built-in: From March 4, 2013