filtration backwash drain line

texasnurseJuly 17, 2012

Just on the down side of a complete pool remodel. The equipment was relocated. I have discovered that the contractor ran the filtration backwash drain line into the landscape. The prior system was plumbed into the sewer system. Is this an acceptable practice? Not sure how I feel about open drainage....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Storm water sewers or sewage system? Local laws may apply for technical purposes.

As for personal feelings, if you contracted to just move it and the local laws don't require it, you may be on the hook for putting it where you want it, assuming this is reasonable and doable.

Scott

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 6:23AM
ncrealestateguy

What is the big deal with draining it to the landscape?

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 7:55AM
texasnurse

Not sure if its a big deal to drain to the landscape. It looks kinda tacky. Will post pic. Many people I have talked to have never heard of such and that the water may be toxic to the plants. How much water would be drained and how often? We will be converting to saline. The old system was draining to the sewer system. We underwent a complete pool remodel including demo and replacement of deck and coping. I guess I need to check local code. To add to the complexity of the matter the landscape bed where the drain was placed borders an apartment complex so any overage would be spilled onto their property.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:15PM
texasnurse

pics of drain

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:30PM
texasnurse

pump

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:35PM
texasnurse

pump

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:37PM
texasnurse

drain

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:38PM
texasnurse

flagstone coping. love the pool!

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:12PM
poolguynj

Uh, no, that is wrong and should not have been done. They were lazy.

You don't leave a waste line through a wall several feet in the air like that. You don't leave a hole that mice and such can climb through. You don't let waste water just fall on landscaping from a few feet up. You don't leave a bare pipe end.

Bring the pipe down to the ground. Flash the hole neatly. Put a fitting for a backwash hose on the end of the pipe. Use a quality backwash hose to carry the waste water away to where it won't present any issues.

Scott

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 11:34PM
texasnurse

Scott,
We spent a lot of money on the remodel and felt like this was not right. In my opinon it should have been run to the sewer like it was before the remodel. We had the deck up and then poured a new deck. I really think it was an ooopps!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Spa motor capacitor
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™