Am I crazy? Thinking about doing grey plaster over pebble tec.

periwinkle18July 21, 2011

Same story, different round. Have been trying to pick between Carribean blue pebble tec, french grey pebble sheen. But - I was wondering if I should do a grey plaster. Budget allows for pebble sheen.

Am I crazy? From a looks perspective, love the French grey pebble sheen. From a durability perspective, like the idea of Pebble Tec. Pool guy says he doesn't think pebble sheen is really worth the extra money, as it sometimes starts to look dirty and mottle after a few years - he thinks Pebble Tec is the best, looks like new after 10 years.

Which got me thinking, why not just do grey plaster if I like the look? Cost is good, will have my pool professionally maintained, love the look and the smoothness.

Any thoughts? Amy I crazy for thinking about plaster over pebble?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natural_one

I think your pool guy is crazy :)

If mottling is a concern, stay far away from colored plaster, including grey.

Pebble Sheen / Pebble Tec (the real things) will both look great years and years down the road if installed correctly.

It' all relative to your situation. If spending the extra is not a concern, stick with sheen. I will add that some certain projects of mine look better with a colored plaster than they do a sheen...some tuscan style homes and french chateau projects needed that old world mottling look.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 11:10AM
twong1200

I personally do not like Pebble Tec. Far too coarse for me. I had 3M Quartz Plaster in my prior pool and loved that. Much better on your feet!

Go with what you like. Bottom line is, you're the one that has to live with it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 12:01PM
periwinkle18

Thanks for the comments. I am intrigued by the thought of the 'old world mottling look' in theory, but not sure what it would look like in reality.

My sister has a medium gray plaster pool, and it looks really pretty. She has small steps, and the pool is fairly deep, so it's not as if you are looking at shallow water much. This is somewhat the case for my pool too.

Maybe I will just go for the pebble sheen french grey. I saw a pool with this and loved it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 3:43PM
brg88tx

i just had quartzscapes quartz installed and i like it so far. they have a french grey color. good compromise between smoothness and durability imo.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™