I have a question.........

JoAnn_FlaMarch 6, 2013

I am not a quilter but might like to be. I have seen quilts that have a circular design sewn all over the quilt or some other pattern. Is this done with a special machine or do you just have to practice the technique?

for instance look at this photo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

Aren't those the cutest patterns. There are several ways to get them, you can purchase papers with them printed and sew over the pattern, you can draw them yourself then sew, or you can just freehand stitch them. If you have a long or mid arm machine you can purchase pantographs (patterns) and follow them with a pointer. It looks to me like those were done freehand by someone with lots of practice.

beverly

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 6:44PM
colleenny

You can use a regular sewing machine but it would take some practice. Colleen

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:45PM
karpet

There are many sites that will have Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) tutorials, but here is just one where she demonstrates one each day for a year - it will help you see the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: FMQ

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:26AM
FlamingO in AR

Oh, too funny - your example is a mug rug that was made by my friend Carol, mamacjt on Flickr. We do free-motion quilting like that all the time, using a darning foot and dropping the feed dogs. Practice on a sandwich scrap until you have the technique and tension right and then just go for it! It's really quite easy. Any meandering line where you can just go and go and not cross over your own stitching works. I think the first one I did was heart shaped leaves on a vine. Draw it out first on paper just so you have a reference, that helps.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™