De-brassification

gmp3February 24, 2011

We are thinking about selling. I have de brassified the bathroom fixtures and all the lighting, but still have mirrored closet doors and door knobs that are brass.

Can I paint the closet boor frames?

Should I worry about all the door knobs?

About half my bathroom fixutes are brushed nickle and half ORB, which is better for these updates?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
revamp

Brass doorknobs are still pretty popular and may not be worth the cost and effort to replace.

As for the mirrored closet doors, I could recommend changing those out to louvered bifold doors or something with a more neutral appearance than the mirrors (a bigger issue than the brass trim, I think). Mirrored closet doors can be a turn off for many people for whatever reason.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 11:45AM
gmp3

Hmmm, I didn't realize that people didn't like them, they are in all the bedrooms except the master. I thought they made the rooms look bigger and were useful.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 12:06PM
LuAnn_in_PA

The mirrored doors would bother ME more than brass doorknobs!

WAY too much reflected in them... I prefer wall mirrors instead.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 1:39PM
jimandanne_mi

Mirrored doors would not bother me. I had them in my last place, and loved them.

Anne

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 2:38PM
gmp3

I am 95% sure my husband won't be on board to replace them, at least initially. Our doors are stained six panels and finishing 6 doors going to be expensive and time consuming, especially if people are split on this issue.

Anyone know if I can paint the frames or replace the frames?

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 4:29PM
sylviatexas1

There's another forum that might be more helpful;
seems like it's "Home Repairs" or some such.

I wish you the best.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 5:16PM
phoggie

Yes, you can paint the frames. We had quite a bit of the shiny brass and I just roughed up the surface and spray painted them...did some light fixtures, house numbers, etc. I am not doing out door handles and hinges. I took off the brass switch plates and replaced them with white. My DH about had a stroke~~why take of $10.00 switches and replace them with $l.00 plastic ones~~

I am amazed that some of the "house hunters" on TV dislike the brass in a low to mid-range house, but in the million dollar ones, they are brass and no one seems to complain~~

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 3:07PM
gmp3

Thanks, what color did you paint? My trim is wood so I don't think White will look good.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:21PM
worthy

I think the mirrored doors are a little passe now. But I wouldn't change them. There are special paints that adhere firmly even to tile with no prep other than cleaning.

Bright brass is still loved by many people; I recently finished a house with Baldwin brass handles everywhere at $100 apiece. (Yes, if they had told me earlier, I could have gotten them for $70.)

At the height of brass matching, I had to get w.c. stops, supplies, flanges and valves in brass too. I'm still carrying leftovers hoping to use them somewhere!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 1:13PM
samanddrew

There is a difference between using tinny builder grade "brass tone" metal and real, heavy, brushed or rubbed brass. A world of difference.
To the original poster, why are half the fixtures ORB and half nickel? I think all the fixtures in a room should be the same. I prefer ORB for everything but if you have more of the nickel just use that, but make sure everything in the room is the same finish.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:04AM
calliope

"There is a difference between using tinny builder grade "brass tone" metal and real, heavy, brushed or rubbed brass."

Exactly! And it's apparent at first glance. When I lived in Asia, one of our houses had solid brass knobs but we also had part-time domestic help there and it was his job to keep all the pounds of brass in the house polished. I think the popularity of the matte finished hardware has a lot to do with the somewhat gaudy look of cheaper plated and brass toned fixtures. To me that's a very dated look and I don't usually buy into decorating trends.

I guess a lot of people think mirrored doors are out of style, too. However, they don't bother me and when I was working outside of the home base, found them handy. They also can be used to advantage in homes with less than optimal day-time light levels. My pre-civil war home has tiny windows for it's massive size and light is a major issue. I installed a large mirror directly opposite the only window in the bath (east facing) to 'catch' light and bounce it around the room. It made a big difference in how bright and cheerful the little room became.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 11:41AM
gmp3

Sananddrew, in different rooms I have different finishes.

No none of the brass is good brass it is 80's builder's brass.

I am trying to decide if staging money would be better spent on a granite counter, new sinks and faucets for the kid's bathroom or new door knobs throughout the house to replace the builder's brass.

Calliope, I agree with you, my kid's rooms are about 12 x 11 so the mirrors make them look much larger and brighter. I am leaving them, but would like to get rid of the brass trim.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 4:49PM
Happyladi

New granite countertops,sinks, and faucets would be a better choice then new doorknobs. I've never seen a listing yet that bragged about new doorknobs but plenty mention granite.

But before you do anything you should talk to a few realtors to see if it makes sense to put money into these things.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:49PM
jane__ny

You can spray paint brass. I did, but did not do door knobs. I replaced those. I spray painted drain plates in the shower and a shower head...(couldn't change the shower head without removing the tile). Looked good.

Jane

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
Moving to make room for mom?
My mother is getting to the age where she should not...
paintedpeggies
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Being Sued for Home Sale
We had our home built in 2003.It was our dream home.Half...
camsgt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™