Would a backyard pond keep you from purchasing a house?

dirtboy58February 10, 2011

Is having a pond in the backyard a negative? If you had small children, would it be such a concern that you wouldn't consider purchasing? The pond is about 4,000 gallons and 4ft deep. In addition, there's a lot of landscaped naturalized areas around the perimeter of the backyard. Too much for a family to keep up? Does a person buy a house for only the house?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda117117

I guess that is a personal preference. I have never had someone "not" want a house because of a pond. Most people think its a nice thing to have. I even have several high end buyers that are looking for homes "with" a pond and will not look at a home if the pond cannot be seen FROM the house! I will be putting my home on the market in the next few years and we have talked about putting a pond in. (its the type of property that a pond would attract the right buyer).

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 11:40AM
adellabedella_usa

I'd like a house with a scenic pond now, but it might have kept me from buying when the kids were little. It depends on what you mean by pond. My family has/had a 5 acre pond in my back yard when I was growing up. My younger siblings were born while we lived in that house. The pond wasn't a huge concern because there was a slope to walk in it. It didn't just drop off. Something like that does not bother me. If the pond went from berm to instant 4' dropoff, I'd be concerned.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 2:31PM
ottawavalleygardener

I wouldn't look at a house with a pool, but it would definitely be a plus if a house had a pond. (I have a little one that I empty in winter)

My brother & SIL recently bought a house with a pond, which they love! It wasn't an issue when buying the house, and they didn't realize how much they'd enjoy it.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 5:30PM
jane__ny

We turned down a house with a stream. It ran through the side of the property, was very pretty with a little walking bridge above it. My children were babies and I was afraid it could be dangerous. I would also worry about mosquitoes.

We wound up buying a house with a pool! In my mind the pool was safer. Had a fence around it with locking gates. I could see the pool from all the windows.

To each his own,

Jane

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 12:38AM
ncrealestateguy

Mosquitos will not lay eggs in flowing water, and any pond that has any amount of fish in it, will not produce mosquitos. They are fish food.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 7:41AM
Billl

For me, a man made pond would be a negative. Not a deal breaker, but I would factor in the price of removing it.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:26AM
live_wire_oak

If this were a natural pond or lake, or even like a farm pond, then no, it would not be a negative. Those require little to no maintainence. If this was something like a large manmade pond with a liner and filter setup that needed maintainence, then yes, that would be a BIG drawback to me in purchasing the home.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:37AM
suero

There is a four acre pond in our community, with four homes abutting the pond. They don't go on the market often (about twice in 30+ years), and when they do, the sell very quickly. The latest sale was last year and the home was on the market zero days.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 8:43PM
marys1000

It would depend on what kind of pond and how well done or not it was.
Personally I would LOVE a naturalized pond that attracted birds and nature, one large enough for a cooling float would be a plus.
A lot of people put in those small DIY ponds in the small pond craze without doing much research and these often turned into ill-maintained messes. Even better ones can require a lot of maintenance. These I would be a lot less thrilled about.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:10AM
earthworm

Funny, but I was contemplating the purchase of a cheap house on over 2 acre.
Space for a pond, maybe, this requires engineering, definitely..
Poorly done, its a negative, well done, with adequate room its a plus and far better than a silly fireplace..
And I agree with Marys1000 100%.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 11:44AM
sue36

It would be easy enough to fill in if someone really didn't want it. That is about 1 trailer full of sand/fill, by my estimation.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Exclusive listing?
We are moving out of state in July, therefore need...
Butternut
Real Estate Agent Fees
My nephew is selling his condo, the agent that is selling...
enjoyingspring
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Help, quick! VA Loan Problems?
My friend is selling her home. She's received two...
jewelisfabulous
Questions for buying a home with a septic system
I just came across an interesting article about issues...
cbrooks42
Sponsored Products
Kim Seybert Orange Acrylic Salad Bowl
$35.00 | FRONTGATE
Radiax 3000K 10-Degree 4-Watt LED Rich Bronze Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Smart & Green | Fresh LED Indoor Outdoor Lamp
$229.00 | YLighting
Lebello | Sunny Rise Lounger
YLiving.com
Camfora 3 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso White
$799.00 | LexMod