More eminent domain woes

BigRickyDeeFebruary 22, 2013

Hello. I posted about a partial taking on my property last year. The post was a while ago so I wanted to start a new one instead of resurrecting an old thread.

I have recently found out more details about what my property is going to look like after they do the construction. The slope of my drive is going from a 5% grade to a 12% grade. My yard is going to be at a 4:1 ratio. I doubt I will be able to use the riding mower on it. The state said they don't take the difficulty of mowing the new slope into consideration until it is 3:1.

Given all of that information, I have two questions

1. Will the state have to pay me for damages for making my yard unusable and my driveway difficult to maneuver in the snow & ice?

2. Is there anyway to force the state to take the whole property instead of just the partial taking they are working on now? Perhaps a hardship case could be made?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greg_2010

What does your lawyer say?

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigRickyDee

I haven't contacted a lawyer yet. I thought it would be best to see what the state is offering so I have something to take to the lawyer when we get started.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

Time for a good RE attorney.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrealestateguy

My thoughts exactly. Unless there is an attorney who specializes in this area or someone who has dealt with this particular scenario, I doubt if we will be able to offer much advice.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreamgarden

"1. Will the state have to pay me for damages for making my yard unusable and my driveway difficult to maneuver in the snow & ice?"

It would help to know which state you are talking about.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigRickyDee

Sorry about that...I am in Kentucky.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

Though, it would be helpful, perhaps, to someone in your situation at a future time, if you report back your outcome and what you did, etc.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzalea

Don't wait--check in with the best RE attorney in your area, so you know what your rights are, and how best to preserve them. When you know a legal problem is on the horizon, it's always better to enlist a qualified professional as soon as possible.

Whatever you spend for that initial conversation will no doubt pay off many times over in the longrun. Good luck

    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigRickyDee

Thanks. I am working on finding a real estate attorney now. At least I will have some info before I am contacted by the state. I may have the attorney at the initial meeting with the state rep if that feels right at the time.

    Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Do not meet with the state rep without an attorney present.

Cal the local board of realtors and ask them who THEIR attorney is.

Even if that attorney does not end up representing you, they should be ale to give you a good reference (as opposed to just looking up in a bar handbook)..

    Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 12:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigRickyDee

I spoke with an attorney today. The man I spoke with was recommended by our realtor and is very experienced with eminent domain cases. We spent a long time with him during a free consultation. He explained the whole process and told us what to expect at each step. However, he didn't feel that the amount of money involved in our case was going to be worth the expense of an attorney. According to him, the "front lawn" cases are very difficult and come down to a difference of opinion about how much property value is being lost. The state uses very strict formulas and don't have a much room for negotiations without condemning the property and going to trial. So, for now, we are going to move forward without an attorney.

The lawyer was very nice and spent a good amount of time with us. I didn't get the feeling that he was just too expensive and didn't want to be bothered with our small plot. He did tell us to contact him after we get the offer from the state. If he feels that the offer is way too low, he will consider taking our case on a contingency basis. So, we will see what happens.

    Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 1:11PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Moving to make room for mom?
My mother is getting to the age where she should not...
paintedpeggies
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™