Should I push back the listing of our house? We are planning to list Feb 24. Pictures of outside won't be great because of the ridiculous amount of snow we had on east coast. Should I wait???
Same question here. Our realtor said people are looking but not buying because they can't get a good look at the yard, etc.
Here is my take... Buyers that have mentally made up their mind to start looking for something to buy, are not going to quit looking just because of a few inches of snow that will be gone in 2 or 3 days.
Don't forget, a lot of these buyers have already sold their existing home or have it under contract or have it listed. They need to locate a home no matter what the weather. It only takes one buyer to buy a home.
Go ahead and post photos, in case there are buyers out there. Just have new ones taken once it melts. And again when spring comes and things are green and blooming.
That's one thing that bugs me: realtors that aren't conscientious enough to put fresh photos up.
I looked at and shortlisted houses the day after one of the worst snowstorms the DC area had ever had.
The most recent purchase was viewed right after a rare heavy (20+ inches) of snow in that town. We waded shin-deep to see houses.
Do you have ANY pictures taken before the snow? If not, take a few outside shots and replace them.
I think extreme weather is the best time to inspect/review a home. You can find the leaks or water penetration of the structure itself but also how the local township deals with such events (is snow removed or ignored? are neighbors thoughtful in cleanup, are cars parked all over the street)?
You won't see much foot traffic but of those who visit - they are probably more serious a buyer vs. the husband/wife cruising homes on a Sunday to cure boredom on a Spring afternoon,.
We are waiting. We don't want people to think about our steep driveway in the snow.
They still will..
thanks everyone. we are putting it up monday morning with a broker's open house on thursday. its priced about 8% below what we bought it at in 2005. not sure that will be enough to move it...ugh. i hate this process!
About where is your location? Sounds like your area took it hard. Charlotte has finally rebounded about 11% in the last two years, most of it in this year.
CT, suburb of NYC. We definitely bought at the top of the market. The market is back but there are tons of new builds in town that my 2005 house can't compete with. :(
"I think extreme weather is the best time to inspect/review a home. You can find the leaks or water penetration of the structure itself but also how the local township deals with such events (is snow removed or ignored?"
Good point. We looked at our house in December. We were able to see pics of it in the spring and knew it wouldn't stay on the market in nice weather.
We closed on it in Feb. Contractors who came in to do work said they had seen it, and were interested, but didn't want to bother looking at it in cold weather.