Screened Porch Included in Home's Square Footage?

sdsnyder9February 3, 2008

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if a screened porch should be included when calculating a home's square footage? (When figuring out a home's price per square foot)

I know that it is included when figuring out lot coverage, but I thought that a room had to be heated to be incuded in the square footage.

Thank you very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

I doubt very much that it should be in there - basements are not even included a lot of the time, even if they are in fact semi-finished, nor should closets be included. It's a matter of 'being honest' about regular living space, and while a porch may be a nice addition and you personally may spend time there, it's not part of the actual 'living' space.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 10:43AM
cordovamom

It may be a regional thing, but I've been told unless the screen porch is heated living space it can't be included. Locally we have two square footages reported, heated square footage and total square footage.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 11:57AM
lyfia

In TX it wouldn't. I doubt it is anywhere unless it is enclosed and fully protected from the elements (which screens don't do) and heated or cooled depending on the area.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 12:16PM
chisue

Only HVAC-ed space above ground is counted here in Chicagoland -- both by the assessor and on a listing.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 2:34PM
susanjn

"...nor should closets be included..."

Yes, closets are included. They are above ground & HVACed.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 10:33PM
talley_sue_nyc

closets are definitely included, esp. since lots of those sq ft calculations are done on the outside dimensions of the house. Hallways, too.

(when I tried once to figure the sq ft of my apt, I added the major rooms together and came up w/ 850. Later, I realized I'd left out hallways, closets, and maybe even both bathrooms. Suddenly, I gained a whole bunch of living space--refiguring, based on external measurements, up to 1,100. And I didn't even have to move, LOL!)

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 11:57AM
c9pilot

Okay, so the 2-car garage in my recently-sold MD house had it's own heat pump - should I have included that in my square footage?
This house was the 1st model home, so the showing office was in the garage, which, I should mention, also had double french doors, bay window w/window treatments, chair railing, wallpaper, crown moulding, lots of dead phone lines, and a huge chandelier hanging in the middle. If we threw down carpet, we'd have a giant bonus room. If you looked very carefully, you could just see a slight variance in the grass where a path had gone from the office french doors straight to the front of the model home next door.

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 4:46PM
terriks

Okay, so the 2-car garage in my recently-sold MD house had it's own heat pump - should I have included that in my square footage?

Only if it's actual living space.

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
Why would nosey realtor say these things?
It is clear my house lacks a wow factor. I over de-cluttered...
belfastbound
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
How soon is "too soon" to select a realtor?
Not planning to sell until about this time next year....
lori_inthenw_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™