replace hardwood before selling?

dscpateFebruary 3, 2010

Hi, new to the forums and putting my house up for sale in 6 weeks. I am sure I will be here a bunch for your help.

Anyway, I have hardwood in my dining room/living room and hallway. When we installed it, it was put down using a metal clip method. Didn't know much about it and now regret it because it has always had a "squeak" about it but not everywhere, just certain spots, but it makes noise when you walk on it. My husband wants to tear it up and nail it down on top of the existing hardwood floors that we have in our kids room and then replace the entire kitchen, living and dining room with the same tile that he has found that he likes for about 1.89 per sq ft. It is a small house and it would cost us about 2 thousand for the tile and we would do the work. I guess my question is would you do this just to sell the house? We are already going to replace the tiles in the 2 bathrooms to update them. The tile in the kitchen is nice and the kids room have a blonde wood floor in them already. I am just wondering if spending 2 grand on flooring at this point would be worth it. Honestly, we live in a starter home that we won't make much money off of. I am just not sure if the squeaky hardwoods are going to put off buyers, my husband thinks replacing them will make the house sell quicker, I think we will just be losing money. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Replacing nice looking floors with nice looking floors is a waste of money.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 10:13AM
revamp

Don't do it. Fresh paint, declutter, and clean. These are the best investments when trying to sell a house. A squeak or two is not going to make or break a sale.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 10:17AM
melle_sacto

ITA not to do it. I'm not sure what's causing your squeak, but I've read that a little baby powder on a squeaky wood floor can make the squeaking stop. For a few dollars and a bit of elbow grease it might be worth trying.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 1:02PM
larke

Every RE agent I've ever talked to or heard of always says never put more money into a house you're selling - that doesn't mean don't clean up and declutter, or don't replace missing ceiling tiles, but it does mean not to do what you're thinking about (get your husband to ask the realtor about it).

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 2:08PM
idrive65

Melle sacto is correct that a bit of baby powder between the squeaky boards can act as a dry lubricant for a temporary fix. We cleaned our old squeaky floors and left it at that. Biggest goals are to have the house clean/decluttered and everything in good repair, especially in a starter home where people aren't expecting (or paying for) expensive updates.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
selling a garden centric property during a drought
I realize that gardens and orchards are not usually...
gwarring
Hall bathroom with claw foot tub, garden view but no shower.
We have a 4 bd, 3 bath house that I am getting ready...
gwarring
Relocating and Finding New Services/People/Businesses
If you are moving or have moved to an unfamiliar town...
DLM2000
Considering downsizing Advice desperately needed!
Have you downsized? I could use your input. Desperately...
jcorn1
Specific real estate agent required by divorce decree
Hi real estate agents, does anyone know if it is legal...
martine81684
Sponsored Products
AHB Madrid Counter Stool - Black - 126903BLK-L50
$269.95 | Hayneedle
LumenArt | APD.19.4 Pendant Light
$150.00 | YLighting
Plantation Chair
Grandin Road
Vig Furniture - 2033 Beige - Modern sectional sofa - VGEV2033B
Great Furniture Deal
Signature Designs by Ashley Kelvin Hall Burnished Brown Lift Cocktail Table
Overstock.com
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Angel with Dove S
$16.00 | Home Depot
Eastwood Leather Ottoman - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Winslow White 5-drawer Chest
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™