Not really quilting but new use for scraps & quilting magazines

polardreamsMarch 26, 2011

My son's girlfriend teaches high school math and she is having her students create a quilt square - approx 7" using math terms - to help understand geometry. She came over today to borrow some old quilt magazines to help them visualize the concepts she is teaching.

She had a ball going through the magazines looking at all the quilts in visualizing in math terms!

Students will each then have to design & execute a square and explain each piece in math terms. (way beyond my brain - that's why I taught social studies & language arts!) When they are finished, the classes (3) will put their squares together into quilts and have a competition to see which of the 3 quilts is best. I gave her a sack of scraps to give the students that can't afford to go out & buy their own fabric.

She is going to have them either sew (with parent's help) or fuse with wonderunder to a base block. I will probably help with the final assembly into the finished quilt.

Who knows, maybe this will help inspire a new generation of quilters??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

What a cool idea! I hope you'll be able to show us pictures of their finished quilts!

Donna

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:04PM
marti8a

What a neat idea! Our geometry teacher had us make string pictures to get across the idea of planes (I think).

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:44PM
nanajayne

That is exciting. It is so nice when the academic becomes part of the real world, a wonderful learning experience and fun to boot. Maybe there will be some new quilters budding from the effort. Jayne

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:04PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

What a great project for the classes to do! Hope to see the quilts when they're finished.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:40PM
tinyteena

A very practical exercise. sometimes Maths seems so useless, but when a teacher can show her students a practical use for the information they're learning, it makes it more interesting. Plus she's showing how you can use an abstract idea in a concrete way. Smart young lady!

Kristene

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:45PM
faytay

Oh, I bet there will be a few that will get 'hooked'. I love it when I meet young quilters. :)

Faye

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 8:44AM
day2day

Fantastic idea! Glad you can be part of it. It will certainly inspire some of them to become quilters ........and/or mathematicians. It will be good for everyone involved.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:59AM
vicky4x4

This is such a neat idea.

I'm a homeschooler and I know there is curriculum just for this reason. Pretty cool your son's girlfriend thought this up herself.

Vicky

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 7:32AM
lafonda_ranch

I have some teachers in my family. I will show this to them. It teaches them a little bit of sewing skills that everyone needs to know, too.

Robbi

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
Kandu Coat?
I'm contemplating starting one, but the directions...
michigoose
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™