Questions about Oklahoma Flagstone Coping

Suzee7447July 9, 2011

Has anyone had problems with their OK Flagstone flaking off in the pool or otherwise breaking down when used with a regular chlorination system not saltwater?

Currently in the process of building our pool and have heard several things about this happening. If this is a problem I want to make an alternate selection for our coping.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RollTideTX

Some pieces of Oklahoma flagstone will flake because that is the nature of that type of stone. There are pieces on the front of our house that are flaking and have never been hit with ANY water other than rain. Sealing the flagstone helps on a salt water pool, but it doesn't completely prevent flaking (at least according to my experience with our pool).

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 10:57PM
womanowned

It is common to have flaking on Oklahoma Wister, but perfectly normal as natural stone does that.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 10:40PM
goyom

We had some flaking and sand in the pool from our Oaklahoma flagstone coping.

I sealed it once, and it helped. 2nd time I coated it really well. Very little sand in the pool now, flaking has all but stopped.

Will renew each year as needed from here on out, only took a couple of hours to do.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 3:44PM
Suzee7447

Thanks for the responses. We went ahead and used the OK flagstone. It turned out really good. I need to figure out how to post a few pictures.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 12:28AM
kathy41602

Suzee, did you seal the flagstone coping? We are getting ready to remodel our pool and I also chose Oklahoma flagstone.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 7:45PM
zookeeper93

We used Oklahoma flagstone coping on our pool we built in late summer 2008. We were not encouraged to seal it by the pool builder since we have a chlorine pool. However, the well water in our town has a high sodium content, so much so that water sprinklers that routinely hit an area, leaves white build up. Over time, it builds up into miniature stalagmites. But I digress.
Our Oklahoma flagstone is spalling very prominently in places. It is pronounced in the deep end where kids grasp the coping

Has erosion gullies

and when wet, becomes very sandy and easily etched. It is etched deeply in some areas, where the polaris pool cleaner wheel gouged a track when it was taken out of the pool.

We will be cleaning and sealing it but if I had to do over, I would not go this route again.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™