Pump keeps burning out

paradigmdawgJuly 11, 2011

So as of last week, I am on pump #3. The first one lasted 1 year, got really hot and seized up. The PB came out and replaced it for free and said that he never has issues with Pentair pumps.

That one lasted until last week which is almost 1 year to the date of the replacemnt of the original.

Once again the PB came out, scratched his head and said he never has problems with these pump motors. I asked him if I should build a cover high above it to keep it shaded and he said I could but he never does and the pumps always seem to last.

So far this hasn't cost me a dime but I am sure at some point I will be expected to pay for these pumps. So- my question is "why am I burning through pumps?"

My pool is 14,000 gallons, the main pump is 1.5hp Pentair Whisperflow. Pump time is 8 hours/day. Water features run off of a seperate pump.Pad is ~20 feet from pool.

Here is an old picture of the equipment pad taken before we made it look prettier over there.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Check the voltage. This sounds like a low voltage situation.

BTW, a 3/4 HP is all you really need just to run the pump. It will save you on the power consumed with sacrificing that much in GPM.

While the pump is desert rated, having it shaded will help some.

Scott

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Need advice on 48 refrigerator remodeling my kitchen
What 48 refrigerator built in looks and performs best...
mercedes316
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™