Repair Gunite Crack Behind Tiles

concreteholeJuly 1, 2013

I had a couple of tiles pop off and I found a crack in the gunite behind them. The crack is about 18 inches long and at one spot had a loose pieces of gunite I could pop out about an inch and a half wide.

I would like to repair the crack before re-installing the new tiles. Wiki says to remove lose pieces, grind away a little at the sides and fill with Portland cement. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with repairing gunite and if Portland cement is my best option for filling the crack?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretehole

I hate to answer my own posts but for anybody who has the same question or me next time I search the answer was to use Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement. It was wild to work with as it heats up in your hand but did a great job of filling crack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJM1537rp8s

Here is a link that might be useful: Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 3:48PM
bossyvossy

just curious, was your builder not avail to correct? or is the pool beyond the standard warranties? thanks for your research. glad you didn't just sit and wait.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:26PM
concretehole

He went out of business. Pool was built during the boom in 2007. He was putting up pools all over the place and cutting corners. I am certain if he was still around he would fight me saying it was settling or earthquake damage.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Putting in a pool/new backyard, opinions on all-in-one company vs
Hello, I'm looking for some info and opinions from...
CitznFish
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™