Quilt Pounce chalk

peggy_hostaMarch 7, 2011

I've returned to quilting this winter after raising children, a career, etc. and there's wonderful new products that weren't around 20 years ago.

What's your opinion on the powder chalk used to mark a stencil. One brand I've seen is 'Quilt Pounce'. I need guidance for machine quilting the borders.

Peggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murphy_zone7

I've used it some. I have the kind that disappears when a hot iron hits it. Good stuff even if a bit messy.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 3:47PM
toolgranny

Ive used both - blue and white. I think it's the blue that washes out, white irons out. I don't like either because they are so messy and the lines smear. For just a border on dark fabric, it might be fine.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 5:41PM
nanajayne

I have use the white that irons out. I find it not the very easy to use but works. I prefer the blue water sol pens. I might not be as informed as I need to be in using the powder. Jayne

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:03PM
peggy_hosta

I was thinking of using my blue water sol. pen and stencils but thought it might be too easy to miss a section whereas the chalk covers the whole stencil. Any other ideas for making the stencil design?
Peggy

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:32AM
kay_in_pa

On the table topper I'm working on now, I decided to try the chalk pencils. They come in different colors. So far, I find that it takes a LOT of sharpening. But by having multiple colors, I'm able to find some that show up well on each fabric in the topper.

They have erasers that work ok when I "mis-mark". This project got interrupted, folded up and put away for about a week. I just checked. My marks are still there. Hoping they'll rinse out easily when I'm all done, but the jury's still out on that one.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 7:56PM
marti8a

Kay, please let us know how it rinses out. I just bought the chalk pencils that are like an Eversharp pen, but it did come with a sharpener. Most of the chalk refills were broken, I hope they work in the pencil.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
Harvest Moon Quilt
This is my first attempt at adding a photo. I just...
Nancy Morris
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™