Hood 36" over 30" range ? Help pls quickly :)

mirucaMarch 31, 2013

Should the hood width match the range width? Does anyone have a 36" hood over a 30" range? Does this, or would this, look odd or off balance?

Cabinets ordered with a 30" space for hood and range - but the order is not yet in production and I could adjust the order if needed. I also could adjust for adding more inches to the kitchen if needed.

Along the way a KD commented that the hood should be wider to protect the cabinet - otherwise steam will go up the sides. However, in reading GD WEB posts I read that this has more to do with the shape and depth of the hood - and, if sized appropriately (and not a flat hood) then there was not a need to go beyond the range width.

So - comments please! I need to make any adjustments to the cabinet order quickly.

Does anyone have the 36-30 set up?

Has anyone had problems with steam ruining sides of cabinets where the hood is the same width as the range?

If I change the hood to 36" should I change the range to a 36".

Merci!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedles

My memory is to have 3" range hood overhang on either side of stove, so if I'm right... you're perfect with the 36/30.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:28PM
taggie

Exactly. A 36" hood may not be strictly necessary if you don't do any high-heat cooking, but if you do do any grilling or woking or things that generate a lot of steam or smoke you will really appreciate the extra capture area.

And a 36" hood looks *great* over a 30" range.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:36PM
Peke

Doesn't it also depend what stove/cooktop/rangetop you have?

I put a 42" hood over my 36" BS rangetop, and it will also be pulled out 3" from the wall because the hood was not deep enough.

Peke

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 11:00PM
wi-sailorgirl

Yep ... we did a 36-inch hood over a 30-inch range. This is recommended by a lot of people for practical purposes, but I'll be honest and admit that I did it mostly for aesthetic purposes. I just preferred an airier look and the price difference between the two sizes of hood liners was very little.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:29PM
buildinva

Does the 36/30 combo mess up the cabinet alignment?

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:06PM
Madeline616

36 is the way to go. Looks awesome, better capture, all around great as long as you can sacrifice the extra 6" of upper cabinet space.

I have a 48" hood over my 36" range. Looks great, works great. Went with that extra size b/c we mounted it a lot higher than specs recommend so needed the add'l capture.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:21PM
miruca

Thanks all .. 36" it is!

buildinva - Cabinets will be adjusted to allow the extra six inches on top. It does change the alignment in that the bottom cabinets extend 3 inches more towards range on each side ... but from the visuals I am doing that looks fine.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:27AM
More Discussions
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
Has Anyone Used Choice Cabinets
I am seriously considering this company. The price...
houseful
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand
We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready...
stretchad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™