QOTD 3/12/11-Saving Catalogs-Do You?

magothyrivergirlMarch 12, 2011

Do you save the catalogs (Connecting Threads, Keepsake, etc) mailed to you? If you do, why and how long do you keep them, and which ones are worth keeping?

I haven't developed a habit yet. I am interested in hearing your answers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

I don't save them beyond a few weeks anymore. I found that once I shopped in them, I seldom did it again. But, I rip out FMQ samples I like and paste them to my wall for ideas. They have some nicely quilted pictures in them.

I usually shop online from those catalog shops anyway so don't worry I'm missing anything.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 12:26PM
nanajayne

I keep them all until the next one comes. Then sometimes I give them away or discard. Good place to search ideas. Jayne

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 1:54PM
K8Orlando

I tend to keep mine, probably for too long! I keep Hancocks of Paducah because I love looking at the fabric and the colors inspire me. I keep Keepsake quilting because the quilt pictures inspire design ideas. The others I save just because I'm lazy.

Kate

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 2:29PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I usually save them til the next one comes. I also look through them for ideas....not that I need anymore....sigh.

SharonG/FL
AKA-RBC

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 2:42PM
rosajoe_gw

Yes, I do lol!!!!!!!!! I was just thinking about 'WHY' last week. I sometimes take them to the gym to look for inspiration while I am on the boring threadmill or is it treadmill!!!!!!!!!
I have a stack that I do need to go thru and throw away, 'cause I shop and order online too.
Rosa

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 2:44PM
barbara_l

I save them for a very short period of time, like maybe a month or less. Before tossing them, I check all the pictures they have. The ones that inspire me, I cut those out and keep them in a folder, just for the ideas, color selections, patterns used and border ideas. I have actually used them when I was stuck to what to do with a quilt I am working on. I find it good reference to have on hand.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 3:00PM
calliope

Shhhhhh! They haven't found me yet! I spent a good deal of this winter and some of last ridding my office of a gazillion wholesale plant and equipment catalogues. Then I took all the Flower and Garden magazines and bundled them up by year and found very grateful recipients. I was drowning in paper and I absolutely hate vendors who send you paper catalogues when you buy from them online. Like.......save a blinkin' tree, whydoncha?

Now, I scan through them if/when they come in and they immediately go in the recycling. Ahhhhhhhhhh. I watched a couple episodes of "Hoarders" on the tube and it frightened me because how does one know when they cross that magic line? LOL.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 4:18PM
petalpatsy

Nope, I toss them in a big garbage can that's right by my front door. I don't look at them once.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 7:28PM
mary_c_gw

I look through them, and I will keep the Hancock's of Paducah for a while, but other than that I recycle them.

If there is a good idea, or quilt pic that appeals, I rip that out and tape it into my graph paper book. Then it's ready to draft if I ever decide to make it.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 8:02PM
magothyrivergirl

Thanks for all your answers.
I have mostly been recycling when the new one arrives. I have kept a few for quilting ideas.

I am overloaded with paperwork from my business where I seem to keep everything. I could sure use that space for quilting.....hmmmm

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Washing polyester quilt tops?
Hello, My granny recently gave me a couple of quilt...
anniebeagle
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™