Binding a scalloped edge?

bee0hioMarch 23, 2010

I haven't got too much more hand quilting to go & I'll be ready to bind my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. It will have a scalloped edge. I read in a "binding & borders" book to use a single layer binding as it goes on easier.

I have always used a double layer binding, even on wall hangings. Has anyone here experience with binding scalloped edges? Did you use double or single layer binding?

I know double wears better, but this treasure will see very little "hard use" while I am in possession. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karpet

Here is a tutorial. I have done a double binding on 2 scallop edges. Make sure you cut the binding on the bias, and do not cut the scallops till after you have sewn the binding on the front.
Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: scallop binding tutorial

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 12:18PM
toolgranny

I agree with Karlene. Double will still work as long as you use bias fabric and keep it narrow.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 2:18PM
quiltpartner

I'm going to 2nd - oops, 3rd!! that comment. Double works fine, but yes, by all means cut it on the bias. cut as narrow as you are comfortable with - it will be easier to work with.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 7:55PM
bee0hio

Thanks for the responses & the link. I believe I will give the double binding a try when I've finished quilting.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 4:05PM
petalpatsy

I'd be really interested in how it goes for you. My mom's doing a GMFG and she worries about how to finish the edge.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 10:11PM
bee0hio

Petalpatsy, I added a 10" wide border to my GMFG. That is the part that's going to have scalloped edges. Within the border I appliqued smaller versions of the hexagon flowers.

I pondered for a while trying to decide how to finish the edges, searching the web & magazines for ideas. I thought the "knife-edge finish" looked rather daunting.

Is your mom using the plastic hexagon's? That is what I used.... "Quilt Pati's".

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 12:22AM
petalpatsy

No, she draws a stitch line with dots at the angles and hand sews them up that way. She wants this one to be traditional, since her last one was paper pieced animal blocks done on the machine and sent out to long-arm.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 3:01AM
ct0516

I found this youtube video that shows how to use a special tool to get the correct size scallops for your quilt AND how to sew the binding on. I found it very helpful. Carol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHhTxTpMQ0&feature=channel

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 11:08PM
lafonda_ranch

I'm anxious to see your quilt!! I inherited some fabric pieces that are already cut to do one of these quilts. I even cut some forms and did one "flower". I think it will be a lot of fun when I can get past some of the other projects I'm working on. I saved the tutorial because I'm sure it will be handy in the future.

Robbi

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:22AM
bee0hio

Hi Robbi! This thread is from a year & a half ago. Below is a link for pics of my finished GFG quilt. Have fun making yours.

Great tutorial on scalloped edge & binding it, Ct0516.

Here is a link that might be useful: My GFG quilt

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
Selecting fabric - need opinions
Hi! I'm working on a black and white quilt. Each...
jlt37869
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™