Trying to understand filter & pump equipment

durango118July 9, 2012

Hi

We're just in the beginning process of selecting a pool contractor. One of them uses Pentair equipment. I'm trying to education myself on this brand, (had a pool built in 84, used all Hayward) Anyway, the builder has quoted a Pentair-VS3050. When we went to his showroom, he had two types of equipment, one was beige the other was black. He specifically said "the black Pentair equipment is the higher quality of the two" . Now I've looked on the web, I can't find any "Pentair" equipment that is black. Can anyone let me in on the secret. Is there such thing as black Pentair equipment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrsSB

The only black Pentair branded pump is the Challenger, but it does not come in a VS model. I work for a builder, I order this equipment almost daily and there is no secret black Pentair equipment.
He possibly could have been referring to Sta-Rite equipment, Pentair owns the Sta-Rite brand as well and most of their equipment is black. When you go to pentairpool.com and look at their equipment the Pentair (except the Challenger pump) is all almond and Sta-Rite is black.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 4:57PM
durango118

Thanks for the quick response. So is Sta-Rite a superior product? I'm thinking just because it's owned by Pentair doesn't mean it is Pentair right? His quote says "VS3050" but in the showroom the pc he showed me was definitely black. Trying to get some info on "black Pentair" equipment was even confusing me more.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 6:35PM
poolguynj

Sta-Rite has a few products that are only Sta-Rite. Pentair has some products that are only Pentair. They share the heater, the controller and motor for VS and VF pumps,and most filters except the System 2s and 3s.

In terms of quality, they are the same high quality.

Scott

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
Would you recommend Fibre Tech?
Anyone with Fibre Tech experience like to comment?...
shuffles_gw
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
Sponsored Products
Antibellum Medium Cabinet with Electric Fireplace
Grandin Road
Satin Glass Round Soap Dispenser with Chrome Hand Pump
TheBathOutlet
Kenroy Home Lamps Cast Away 29 in. Driftwood Table Lamp 32266DW
$98.99 | Home Depot
Modern Flat TV Stand
Italy Design
Clio Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Faucet 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed