Eco-friendly shelf liner ideas?

NewEnglandSaraMarch 3, 2012

Hi All,

I am looking for affordable shelf liner that is as non-toxic as possible. I found something that looked promising at The Container Store, but it would cost me $19.99 to line each cabinet! :-( Any other ideas for PVC-free liners that are easy to use and long-lasting?

Thanks so much!

Sara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sherriode

What about cork? They make the adhesive backed kind specifically for shelf lining and rolls without adhesive. I didn't do the math, so I'm not sure how much it woul cost per cabinet.

I can't get the link to paste in the right place using the iPad, but if you search for cork shelf liner on Amazon, it will come up.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 10:10PM
decolisa

Cork is eco friendly and affordable. You can save a lot of money by buying cork in a in a big roll w/o adhesive. I got a roll of 1/8 thick Wayfair for about $60. Home Depot also has rolls.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/8 thick cork roll

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 1:56PM
liriodendron

For what purpose are you lining the shelves?

For ease of cleaning?
For decorative purposes?
For cushioning against small jolts?
For quiet?

How about fabric? I'm thinking of something along the line of thick linen (real 100% flax), neatly hemmed flat, or just overcast/serged if it's too thick for hemming.

Or if it's for cushioning (say in a deep drawer where dishes are stored) then fabric covers over thin pads made from Quiet-Table felting.

Fabrics would be inexpensive and completely washable and re-usable. If you decided to go for another look, they'd easily be repurposed as cleaning or drying cloths, depending on what they were made of.

If you just want a thin layer, try butchers' paper cut to size in one or two layers. You could eventually reuse that to start fires.

HTH,

L.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 3:41PM
live_wire_oak

My grandmother just used old newspaper cut "paper doll" style into decorative doily shapes on the edging. I don;t think you can get more eco friendly than recycled newspapers! The main purpose of using it was to keep the stored items from sticking to the painted shelves. Today's modern melamine lined cabinets do not functionally need shelf liner to keep dishes from sticking or to protect the shelves from damp dishes. The only functional reason for it is if you have very delicate dishes that would chip if you set them down a bit hard.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Remodeling
If you have decided to remodel your kitchen, then you...
Home Ideas
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand
We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready...
stretchad
Is it okay to rave about Executive cabinets?
We have been living in our new house for about 8 months....
david_cary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™