Binding: what I have learned so far this year....

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLMarch 9, 2012

1. My binding corners could have 'snouts' and most certainly have nostrils....but, the nostrils should be facing the same way and sewn closed. I had been allowing them to face whichever way they looked good. Some I sewed closed and some I didn't. Now I know the real story!!!

2. My eyes are not good enough to sew the binding on as in the recent tutorial. Couldn't even see the bobbin thread used to sew the binding to the back of the quilt. But since it was the small Twister Wreath I was practicing on, I completed to practice all the way around. What a bunch of wavy backward blanket stitch seams! I used the same fabric for the border and binding....a lot of white and of course, white thread.

I will continue to put my binding on as I normally do....sew on the back, bring to front and designer stitch it down. But, I will take more notice of the corner nostrils. lol

SharonG/FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosajoe_gw

Sharon no one looking at your gorgeous quilts would ever believe you have a vision problem!!!

I don't sew my nostrils closed lol!!! I did like the gadget she used on the corner, I may try it with a ruler. I still like my glue lol!! and since I prefer a thin binding I don't notice too much which way the corner goes, as long as it lays down I'm happy!!

I have watched E. Burns sew off to the right of the binding and then lift the binding up and back down perfectly without taking the quilt out from the machine. I just can't do it, even on small quilts!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 3:21PM
kathi_mdgd

Rosa it just takes practice to do it Eleanor Burns way.I learned to do that in a class i took from her,and several of her books have a step by step how to in them,one being the Kaliedscope(sp) book.Keep trying~~~~~~~~you'll get it.
Kathi

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 4:40PM
rosajoe_gw

Kathi you can do that lol!!!
She does amaze me!!! I'll have to watch her video and look for the book!!!

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 5:35PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I like to bind quilts. I used to hand sew to the back, but that isn't on the agenda anymore. I have no problem with mitred corners, in fact, I now consider it an accomplishment to have nice looking nostrils. LOL

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 2:21PM
rosajoe_gw

LOL I have sewn some of the nostrils shut and when I was in a hurry it looked like the nose hair needed to be trimmed!!!!

Kathi, I forgot to post 'YOU TOOK A CLASS WITH E. BURNS??? OMG I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE HER CLASSES!'
Rosa

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Kandu Coat?
I'm contemplating starting one, but the directions...
michigoose
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Sponsored Products
Lamp International | Goccia Pendant Li2034
$965.25 | YLighting
Fresca 84 Light Oak Double Sink Bathroom Vanity w/ 3 Cabinets & Sinks
Hudson Reed
Av Mazzega | Modern Mirror SO 3151 Suspension Light
YLighting
Stilo Bronze One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Round Canopy and Cord
$171.00 | Bellacor
Crystorama Abigail Mini Chandelier - 18W in. Birch - 4715-BI
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Melanie Widespread Gooseneck Bathroom Faucet - Small Porcelain Lever Handles
Signature Hardware
Tondo 18 Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$396.00 | Bellacor
King Meander Coverlet 106" x 96" - MICA (Gray) (KING)
$950.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™