Stupid Q - Installing new doorknob before listing....

stretchadJanuary 28, 2009

Trying to get my house ready for listing at the end of February. The current front door knob is worn out, finish is gone, etc. A shiny new brass knob and bolt would look great.

If I have a door knob to the garage that uses the same key as the front door, would I need to replace BOTH door knobs and locks and key both to match a new key? Or, can I install a new one on the front door, and key it to match the garage door key?

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

If you buy the same brand and they're not that many years apart in age, it should be possible to rekey to the same key. In fact, I've even seen kits in hardware stores that let you do it yourself.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 8:39PM
graywings123

For the time the house is on the market, why not just use two different keys? The new owners will want to rekey the locks when they take possession.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 8:10AM
chrisk327

I would agree with Gray, first weekend I had my house we rekeyed the locks. 1) to make them the same, 2) to lockout all the extra keys that were floating around.

And yes you can get them keyed the same. I'm not sure what they need. I think maybe just the new lock and old key.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 12:56PM
kwajkid

I have a related question -- our front door has a separate lock and door handle. We replaced the lock a couple years ago with a keyless model and now the the door handle part needs to be replaced. Where can you buy just a door handle?? I don't want to pay extra $$ for the lock when i don't need it.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 10:56PM
brickeyee

"Where can you buy just a door handle?? I don't want to pay extra $$ for the lock when i don't need it."

Its called a passage set and is normally only used on interior doors.
They are rarely good enough for use in an exterior door and exposure to the weather.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
Lady Realtor coming to house at 6:30pm and its dark outside?
I was looking up homes for sale around me on trulia...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™