Van Deusen Blue

vavavoomApril 10, 2009

I am torn.

I LOVE navy blue. it is my absolute favorite color. I am itching to paint my bedroom a dark blue (not navy, but somewhere between ink and navy.)

If I were going to do it, I would do it, i'm not a fan of accent walls. I would have crown molding and ceilings bright white, dark wood furniture and white bedding. I love the idea of it but am scared it is going to be too dark.

Our painters will be using BM. I realy like the Van Deusen Blue. Does anyone have experience with a whole room being painted this color? Especially a bedroom?

I also have my eye on blueberry and NY sate of mind. i know if i'm going to do this, i have to get it right!

Any advice or pictures would be great. (btw, i'm planning grays with brown undertones for much of the house.)

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amysrq

Well, this is your lucky day! My DD's bedroom is painted Van Deusen Blue. We love it. Even painted the ceilings. My builder thought I was crazy, but it looks great. I have no pics of the room with furniture because it is so messy all the time. But, there is an off-white sofa in there, a white marble topped coffee table, a few black accent pieces, white shaded lamps and white/green bedding. All the trim is bright white.

The window faces east and she has two south-facing skylights, so the room is bright during the day. At night, it is cozy yet moody and brooding...just right for a teenager! :-)

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 9:02AM
alisande

Amysrq, that looks beautiful!!

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 9:25AM
leanne123

Here's our master bedroom. It's Van Deusen blue with a faux finish. Ceiling is blue too. I decorated this room in 2001 and still really like it.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 10:45AM
amysrq

Another VD blue ceiling!! Amazing. :-)

Vavavoom, even if you don't use the blue for the ceiling (a big commitment) I don't think a bright white ceiling is the way to go. My advice would be to use a color with less contrast...still a "white" if you want, but not bright. Maybe a taupe or a pale gray, depending on what else is in the room.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 11:11AM
Boopadaboo

We used a somewhat similar color from Lowes in the foyer of our last house. We did exactly what Amy said and used a light grey to offset the white trim everywhere.

Not sure how well they grey is showing up. I think it will depend on the monitor.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 12:07PM
vavavoom

thanks everyone! your rooms look great!

Just out of curiousity (i'm new at this) why would you not do a white ceiling?

thank again!

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 4:49PM
stinky-gardener

Amy, your daughter's room is gorgeous! Hope she likes it as much as I do!

Leann, your bedroom is very pretty too!

Boopa, wow, love the gray ceiling with your walls, & your art is showcased so beautifully against that deep blue shade.

Vavavoom, if I understand correctly, I think Amy & others recommend a gray or other-than-white ceiling to soften the contrast. A big expanse of white (on the ceiling) next to those deep blue walls could seem a bit garish & harsh.

You certainly lucked out with inspiration photos! Have fun painting!

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 5:07PM
amysrq

Like stinky said. :-)

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
Where to buy discounted upholstery fabric?
Recently purchased an upholstered accent chair from...
kaisermust
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™