How can you not like sweet Sunbonnet Sue lol

rosajoe_gwMarch 10, 2014

A lady I met at my sister's church asked me if I could make a SS for her. She said it was vintage and she did not know where the original pattern came from. It was a quilt of 4 and 9 patches with SS's appliqued.

I wish I could see the original quilt, this is gorgeous IMO lol! Would make a beautiful baby gift. Are Sharon and I the only ones that like SS? 'Course Sharon was favoring 'naughty Sue' more lol.
Rosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

EEWWW! Why would anyone want to swaddle their little darling in that sneaky thing's clutches??? She's almost as horrifying as clowns are. EEWWW!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:10AM
nannykins

I like Sue! I have done 2 with her and one with her brother Sam.
And I have a daughter named Sue.
Theresa

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:11AM
msmeow

Sue's not my favorite, either, but that one is adorable, Rosa! I love her hankie dress.

Donna

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:30AM
quiltingfox

That's precious! I love SS! My Mom started a SS for me when I was little and never finished it; she keeps saying when she retires she is gonna finish it. Hope she does.

Best to you and TFS!,
Sandra

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:27PM
toolgranny

OK the challenge is on! I didn't care much one way or another. But, now I am putting SS on my list to try!

About 100 years ago my GGrandmother made a quilt with blocks similar to a SS but images like a woman. Each was made from scraps of a dress she'd made for a granddaughter and she embroidered the name under the doll. I have only seen pictures as it lives in Oklahoma but most all those names I knew and all are gone. So, it brings back fond memories as I loved those aunts dearly. Your thread above reminded me of her quilt.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:02PM
grammyp

Well, I like her. I love how simple the pattern is and how easily it can be specialized/personalized.

beverly

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:35PM
loisflan

I can appreciate SS for her quaint charm, but I would never make a quilt with her in it. As you all have probably figured out, I tend to like the more modern quilts. This is what is so wonderful about our shared passion of quilting. Regardless of your preferences, you can find a pattern that you will love.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:05PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

It's what I did with left over fan blocks. :-) And my take on Southern SueBelle. She is just so much fun!!! I have many ideas but haven't gotten back to her.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:42PM
kathi_mdgd

I like her as well,and made one for my ggd in 2012 for her doll.I think she's cute for little kids and their dolls.Now clowns,never ever liked them.
Kathi

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:39PM
littlehelen_gw

At least a clown has a face, unlike SS!

V.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:42PM
jennifer_in_va

I made one once. I've done it, and I feel no need to do it again. Here's mine...

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 10:00PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Jen, Your Sue's are so cute!!! And you even trimmed her hat! Sweet!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 11:26PM
bev2009

I like both quilts. I still have my grandmothers cardboard pattern she used, although I have never had an urge to make one. Maybe if I had a GD I would.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 9:59AM
petalpatsy

I like Sue, naughty and nice. I imagine it's like playing paper dolls to pick the dress and bonnet fabrics And then also in your quilt, the balloons! At the same time, I'd never do one. Myself, I'd just prefer to do flowers and birds in applique.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 3:05PM
chickie1

My grandmother loved SS. She made my daughter a purple quilt with SS's dresses in different scrapes. Wish I had it now. We lost it in a house fire. I like the pattern but not motivated enough to make one. My hubby found a SS quilt at an auction and brought it home. So I have one.
Darlene

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:04PM
nanajayne

I am not fond of the traditional SS quilts as I am prefer more variation in a quilt but I do like the appliqued one. It doesn't seem as planned as when she is feature in a block.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? March 6-8
I hope to find time to work on some small wall hangings...
lindaoh_gw
Wahoo and Thank You
Thank you so much to all that submitted blocks from...
ibquiltn4fun
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™