Budget friendly traditional/transitional backsplash tile?

pseudochefMarch 20, 2013

Today I went to look at a tile store in town to see what options might be for backsplash and floor tile. There was a ton of natural stone type and glass tile but I didn't see anything that looked very traditional. Everything looked like it belonged in a modern house or a new build here in TX (there's a certain look all the new build houses have). Our home is more traditional/transitional, from the 70's, and that's more my taste. I've seen some beautiful backsplash tiles on here, but I'm afraid they're out of our budget. The contractor has priced us with a $6.50/sf price point and I'd like to stay somewhat close. So does anyone have any good sources or brands that are online to look at?

Here's one I like,

Traditional Kitchen by Tampa General Contractor Devonshire Custom Homes

and another...

Traditional Kitchen by Encino Interior Designer Dayna Katlin Interiors
The backsplash tile...don't think the bird is anywhere near our price range.

I'll add that we'll be having medium/dark stained cabinets. I don't know what countertop yet, I'm trying to sort of take a first pass at everything all at once and then narrow things down.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SoCalLeigh

Don't laugh, but check out Ann Sacks. They have a basics line with some options that may be in your price point.

We are doing the Arden beveled subway in cream for $7.33 sq ft.

I think the bevel gives the subway a bit of a modern update without being modern, if that makes sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: AS Basics

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 11:22PM
carp123

i read from a favourite blog of mine that Home Depot has inexpensive marble subway tiles for $5.50sqft. they live in Richmond VA.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 11:30PM
tinan

Lowes and Home Depot have white subway tile for $1.80 per sq ft. It's a classic! I was going to use this but then went even cheaper and used beadboard wallpaper.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 1:23AM
pseudochef

Thanks everyone. I do like the white subway tiles but I think my husband would really prefer something more colorful. I'll check out the Annie Sacks site. Are there any other websites?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:39AM
msrose

Not sure what part of Texas you're in, but we just had a Floor & Decor Outlet open near Ft. Worth. You can look online, but it's more fun to look in person in you have one.

I know I recently saw a tile online similar to what you posted. I'll have to see if I can remember where it was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor and Decor

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:07PM
Angie_DIY

Grazia Rixi is sometimes available at that price point.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:00PM
iroll_gw

I have ordered samples from this site. Coincidentally for you, they are in Texas, though it seems you'd have to visit a reseller to shop in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Tile Supplies

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Framed beaded inset or frameless? Same price
I finally have decided on Cabinet wood and cabinet...
Traumanurse1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™