cleaning a singer feather weight 221

derftMarch 14, 2012

I just returned home with a 1949 singer featherweight 221 sewing machine, used but in great working condition. My question is how does one get 60+ years of grime off the sewing machine body and table. Looks like smoke and grime. I tried some mild rubbing compound but it doesn't return the luster of the original paint. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

I used carburator cleaner. It's really just kerosene from the smell. So, try a little kerosene on a cotton ball and see if that helps. Test first in a place underneath to make sure your paint can withstand it. Products like Goof Off also might do it. Mine was so bad I took it apart and soaked parts of it. I don't think I ever got it all out of the presser foot shaft. it still sticks. But, it sews fine.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Since my machine came to me restored and cleaned, I can't speak from experience. But, I do know not to use any type of rubbing compound or cleaner with abrasive particles in them. Check at the automotive supply stores for the Tuff-Stuff listed on one site. Ask them about other NON-ABRASIVE cleaners that won't remove the paint or decals.

I did a google search for you. Gailee's blog has good information and I know that she has been in business for many years cleaning, restoring and selling FWs. Check out Graham Forsdyke's web site at www.singer-featherweight.com as he has a great deal of knowledge and experience restoring the machines.

The important thing is to clean gently, do not submerse the machine in anything, and do not use abrasive cleaners. Once your machine is cleaned, you can buff lightly with a soft cloth and a small amount of baby oil to restore the shine.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Sponsored Products
Double Shade 20" Wide Brushed Nickel Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Caroline Herati Emerlen Rug (5'5 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Pencil Stripe Rug
Serena & Lily
Amelia Queen Vinyl Bed Frame in White
$549.00 | LexMod
Small Fancy Bathroom Sink | White Square Contemporary Italian
maestrobath