Making a New Poster Look Old?

des_arc_ya_yaApril 28, 2010

Not a PEOPLE poster, a PAPER poster! LOL

What can you put on, or do to a poster to put some character and age on it? (Aside from the obvious answers of stomping on it, crumpling it up, etc. LOL)

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zipper_TX

Hiya YaYa, how about some burnt umber acrylic paint thinned down really well and smooshed on with a paper towel? Don't let it get too wet, but rub it around then wipe it off so that it looks aged. Try it on an old magazine page first to perfect your technique. You could try burning the edges with a lighter too that would age it a bit.

Of course you will have to show it to us when you're done ;o)

Hugs

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:18PM
suzieque

How about dampening a paper towel with strong, cold tea, shooshing it around on the poster, then wiping it off?

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:24PM
kacram

LOL... coffee gets darker faster. how old? like
85 years, or 10? lol

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:33AM
lilliepad

I have used Zipper's method many times and it works.Instead of burning the edges tear them,little pieces at a time,so that the torn edge is showing and cover that with the burnt umber acrylic and wipe it off carefully.A cotton ball works great for applying the paint and wiping it off or a folded piece of gauze or flannel.You can add more layers of paint to get the desired "age".

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:19AM
FlamingO in AR

I agree with Zipper and also a few strategically placed creases would add to it, too. I would do them before the antiquing medium so they could take some staining, too.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:27AM
mariend

You might also check Hobby Lobby, or Walmart, or JoAnns for a tole paint that does that job. Can't remember what it is, but I think you just paint it on, and it looks antique. You also google tole painting and that might help

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 5:34PM
jannie

Try ironing the edges with a hot iron, enough to make it brown and dry. then tear a few spots. Also try rolling the poster roughly to create some creases. I remembering making a "Civil War newspaper" look old for a history project in junior high. (It wasn't a real newspaper-just something I typed up on regular paper and then tried to make it look 100 years old.)

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 5:40PM
lydia1959

Once you get it 'aged', I'd frame it in a poster frame.. that way people will think it is really a collectible!!

Are you gonna post a picture for us when you get done??

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 6:02PM
des_arc_ya_ya

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Yep, Lydia, if it looks good, I'll sure show it! LOL

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Done With Stupid Tax
I posted a couple of times about paying "Stupid...
vicsgirl
I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Tues Feb 24
Staircase (looking up) at my sister's condo building....
caseynfld
Beet Greens
What's your favorite way to prepare beet greens? I've...
Suzieque
Ziplocs with sliders
Whoever invented them, I'm grateful. I use a lot of...
lucillle
My 600 lb Life
I have been watching this program the past few weeks,...
enjoyingspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™