Cleaning White 'Stuff' Between Tile & the Coping

deannadJuly 25, 2014

I do plan to ask at the local pool supply tomorrow, but their employees aren't very helpful, so I thought I would try you smart people. Our pool has the normal row of tiles around the top BUT the tiles don't completely butt up against the top. Instead there is about 1" of white plaster or thinset or grout (but doesn't look like the grout between the tiles). Whatever it is is really dirty and even seems to be wearing away. After watching some pool tile repair videos I really think it's thinset and the geniuses just used it to cover the space when they laid the tile. I'm wondering if I could just put another coat of 'something' on top that would cover it up and look better? Maybe a water proof caulk? This area is above the waterline unless we get major rain and the pool overflows.

Any ideas? We tried cleaning it last year and maybe it helped a little, but where it's wearing away I need another solution. We had the pool replastered last year, but they wouldn't touch the tile or above. We didn't think to ask for an opinion.

You really can't even see this area (the pool edge hides most of it) unless you're IN the pool, so I don't need a gorgeous solution - just serviceable!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

Our pool boy (me) takes a chorine tablet and rubs our "stuff" with it when it gets grungey. It really does help some. Wear gloves and don't breathe in.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Hit it with olive oil.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™