I need a new garlic press. Do you have one you like?

corgimumMarch 23, 2013

Either they rust or I break the handle when I squeeze it. Looking for one that is dishwasher safe and not too hard to clean. And can withstand my apparent brute strength:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msrose

I have one that I bought from Pampered Chef years ago that I love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic press

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:37PM
williamsem

We had a PC one, it was great until we managed to warp the cleaner thing. I bought one from Cutco at a home show last fall and it is awesome. Good weight, easy to hold. The press part has the cleaning nubs integrated on the back, so you press, then flip it inside out (bring the handle around the hinge 360 degrees) and press the nubs on the back into the holes.

I bought that and some funny looking knife they were demoing. DH just shook his head. Then they arrived in the mail. He LOVES them both!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:08PM
ak0402

Here you go. Check out the reviews shown also.

The one I am linking says it is DW safe, and several of the reviewers back that up. But my experience has been that I would not put any metal garlic press in the DW because over time it will ruin the finish. Alternatively, you can get one made of plastic, but then you run into the problem you've noted where they are not sturdy. I clean mine under running water in the sink, with a soapy Dobie pad. Takes about 30 seconds.

Here is a link that might be useful: WMF Profi Garlic Press

This post was edited by akchicago on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 22:19

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:10PM
cat_mom

I have two Zyliss garlic presses. An original one, and a non-stick "improved" version. I think the original one worked better, though. I rarely use them, preferring to mince the garlic with a knife though will press it for some recipes, or if I need to use lot of cloves (rarely, DH would prefer I omit it entirely, and I can't handle a lot of it in dishes),

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:40PM
deeageaux

I second the WMF Profi Garlic press.

Fantastic.

I usually stay away from " made in China"

But this meets my "sold by Western/Japanese company with a long track record for quality" exemption.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:44PM
Angie_DIY

We have a Roesle garlic press, which we bought at Williams-Sonoma. It is really great, because the basket swings open for easy cleaning, AND it is built like a tank, AND it is dishwasher safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roesle garlic press

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:46PM
katy-lou

I can second the roesle - awesome garlic press

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:50PM
alwaysfixin

I have the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean garlic press, which is stainless steel. Kuhn Rikon makes a less expensive one which is plastic, but I like a stainless press better because it won't hold onto the smell. I bought the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean cause Cooks Illustrated recommended it. I think it's OK, but there is room for improvement - mostly because it tends to spray the garlic bits too wide as you squeeze, so the garlic may not all land where you want it. On the Amazon review page, the "most helpful" review compares the Kuhn Rikon to the Rosle if you are interested.

Sorry Williamsen, but the Cutco reviews are mostly poor. I am not being disrespectful of your choice; I am only saying this to give the OP a heads-up.

Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Stainless Steel Garlic Press

Cutco garlic press reviews

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:00PM
williamsem

I'll check in again with DH tomorrow, he uses it most of the time.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:51PM
cookncarpenter

Had the Kuhn Ricon plastic, JUNK! ...broke in a few months. Have had the Roesle now for a year or so, and it is absolutely the best I have ever owned!!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:57PM
colorfast

I would second msrose. I love my pampered chef garlic press and I also wash it in the dishwasher.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:57PM
liriodendron

Had the Roesle, traded it for a Wusthoff: simple with no nooks and crannies for stuff to get stuck in. Has two screens so you can get pressed bits or totally smushed goop. The screens just drop in and I can get any remnants out of the little screen boxes just by inverting them in a stream of tap water.

Plastic handles and rust-proof stainless metal parts; takes almost no effort to close, but there's no complicated gearing or anything. Made in Germany.

IIRC, it seemed pricey to me at the time, but I've had it for ever.

L.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:45AM
breezygirl

Just curious. Doesn't anybody chop garlic by hand? Maybe my old garlic press wasn't a good one, but by the time I retrieved the press from the drawer, used it, cleaned up the sprayed-everywhere garlic juice, and cleaned the press afterwards, I could have, and do, use my sharp knife that's already on my board with much more control in the finished product. And I use a lot of garlic. Like I said, just wondering. Not meaning to go OT.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 3:43AM
8mpg

$6 Ikea one for me. Works great

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:13AM
function_first

I also real like my IKEA one (IKEA Konics Garlic Press). I have had it for years, use it regularly and put it through the dishwasher (basket comes out for easy cleaning) and it's still like new.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:58AM
mailfox7

This is not your standard "press", but the Zoom works like a charm!

Here is a link that might be useful: garlic zoom

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:13AM
williamsem

We regularly use a knife, thought the press is good in some situations.

I checked with DH, he still loves the press from Cutco, it's "awesome". Some does go up the side at times, but he says every press he's used does that to some degree, just push it all back down and it goes through fine.

Do these other presses not have any go up the side? Are we needlessly futzing around with runaway garlic?

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 9:09AM
ci_lantro

I have two Zyliss garlic presses...the old style that I've had forever and the new style that has a larger 'basket'. Both are excellent. Have also owned other lever action type presses but the Zyliss just works better.

One of these days, I'm going to get a garlic rocker like this:

However, I do use my Chinese cleaver to chop garlic about 50% of the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 9:27AM
MizLizzie

Breezy, I chop by hand. I chop everything by hand. Do not even own a food processor, save for a stubby little Cuisinart for making . . . dunno what. Forget why I bought it, honestly. Never use it.

But my sister the gourmet chef swears by that Pampered Chef gizmo. She swears by anything from Pampered Chef. And I tend to agree, from what I've seen.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:04AM
brickeyee

I just mince it with a Chef's knife after squashing it with the side of the blade and removing the skin.

One less thing to clean up.

If you want pastw use the salt from the recipe (Kosher works best, larger grains) to grind the mince to a paste using the side of a knife blade (also works for anchovies, fresh small hot peppers, etc).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 11:16

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:15AM
corgimum

Breezy- I have been chopping by hand and find I prefer the squishy bits that come out of a press. I love the taste of garlic but not the texture so that is why I like a press.

All of these options look good so thanks for weighing in. My first stop will be Ikea- since it's only 5 miles away- and the price cannot be beat!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:26AM
Angie_DIY

Breezy: I find I hand-mince garlic much more often than use my press. Typically, I like the chunks a bit larger (~1/16") than you get with a press; otherwise, I burn them too easily when sauteeing. Basically, for me, the press is nice for garlic that goes into watery liquids, and hand-mincing is nice for garlic that goes into oil.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:44AM
a2gemini

I was watching the pros one day and they squooshed it with the side of the knife and then chopped what was left. Maybe some day I will buy a press - but I do use my magic garlic skin remover - it is a silicone tube and you just roll the garlic inside and presto - no more skin.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:05PM
marcolo

Different technique for different purposes.

A microplane also works with with garlic.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 12:48PM
Mizinformation

We grow and use quite a lot of garlic, and I always used a knife for chop and mince, and the side of the blade for paste. In the last couple of years I've gotten lazy and use roasted garlic for nearly everything. It started one year when March rolled around and we had about 10 pounds of garlic left from the previous year's harvest, and some started to sprout. We roasted it, packed it into mason jars, and froze it. Marcolo's right -- different techniques for different purposes, so I still mince fresh stuff for zingier guac or whatever, but typically we use creamy roasted garlic for nearly everything. It's nice to have it so convenient and not have the sticky mess of skins, cutting boards, and tools to clean up.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 3:41PM
kitchendetective

I chop by hand, and I really enjoy the process.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:13PM
jerzeegirl

I bought one just last week because my old one broke. I bought Calphalon brand at BB&B. So far it's working pretty well. I like it is because the handles are padded and my hands don't hurt as much when I have to press hard. It was about $15.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:44PM
ControlfreakECS

I have the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean in stainless mentioned above. I gave up on garlic presses years ago and just used my chefs knife to mince garlic. I read a review of the Epicurean in a cooking magazine and decided to give it a try even though I hadn't used a press in 10 yrs. I have to say I love it. It is by far the easiest to clean that I have ever used. It's the first time I have thought a press was easier than just using a knife.

If I want more of a paste, then I use the microplane, as a pp mentioned above. That is also very convenient.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:41PM
colorfast

Well said. Me too.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 9:18PM
firstmmo

I don't have a press that I love, but I do have a chopper that I am addicted to. I swear I use this 2-3x a week just because I love how easy it is to use. It looks like it's hard to clean but I just pop it in the dishwasher. I am actually not a huge garlic fan, but this has made me use garlic a wee bit more. My sister gave it to me for Christmas....good gadget!

"Vibe by Chef'n Garlic Chopper"

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:46PM
zelmar

I have both the Roesle and Kuhn Rikon shown above. I've used them for quite a few years and they are both much better than anything I had used in the past. I tend to like the Kuhn Rikon a bit better than the Roesle but they are both great. Both are sturdy, easy to use and easy to clean. They are both pricey but well worth it. I don't mind spending a little extra on tools I use a lot.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:08AM
mike_kaiser_gw

I've found that this one works quite well...

Nothing extra to buy, nothing extra to clean, nothing extra to store.

If you need additional instruction, watch the linked video.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by mike_kaiser on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 10:07

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:58AM
sail_away

I have used a garlic twister (looks like the one linked below) for years. Easy to use (unless you overload it or have weak wrists), easy to clean, and easy to store. I do often just mince the garlic myself,too , especially if I want larger pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Press at Amazon

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 1:47PM
theresa2

I used a garlic press for over 25 years. Then one day I was at my daughter's house. She was making a favorite family recipe. I was wondering how come hers tasted better. We narrowed it down to the garlic. When you use a press, the garlic cooks too quickly. But if you have tiny chunks you can saute your garlic longer which makes it sweeter. Think about it; when you roast garlic, the garlic gets sweeter as it softens. Quick cooking garlic just makes it taste bitter or worse . . . burnt. All my recipes taste so much better now.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
aloha2009

After struggling with a "cheapie" garlic press from Walmart that cost about $12, we decided to go with the recommendation of IKEA's truly inexpensive press for $6. My DH is in the kitchen now raving about how much he LOVES it!

He loved how easy it was to use, clean up, and it really did the job. We're tossing the old, almost unused one out. We were thinking we may as well chop up garlic with a knife until this came along. Thanks to all those IKEA garlic press fans....we are now a fan too!

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 7:41PM
kompy

I'm another Rosle lover!

It works so well, you can leave the 'skin' on the garlic cloves and it still works like a charm. I've had mine for 10 years and no corrosion, rust or anything. Makes a great gift too!

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:14PM
lascatx

I have the Kuhn Rikon metal version and really like it. We also prep by hand -- just depends on the use and need.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:37PM
cevamal

I love this OXO. Being able to flip the handle around to press the remnants out of the grid is key. I've had several presses with and without it and there's no substitute.

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO Garlic Press

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 4:00PM
kksmama

My Rosle is around 8 years old, and it works and looks like new. My friend has a hardwood block, made by her dad, which I covet - it is kinda like having a pestle (but is a bigger cylinder - about 3" x 4") without using a mortar. She just smashes her garlic in the pan she is using. I love brickeyee's idea of using kosher salt to turn it into paste. And just last week did my first roasting of garlic, I can see the appeal!

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 8:35PM
ChristyMcK

Love our rosle garlic press. Hefty and easy to clean. Often just slice it though.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 9:23PM
trekker

I use the Garlic Twist http://nextrendproducts.com/,
easy to use and washes in the dishwasher. I'll never look at another garlic press.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
WHITE cabinets with WHITE Bertazzoni range??
In the planning stages of a major kitchen reno. I've...
enzaenza
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
CanCan 2 Adjustable Table Lamp
Lightology
Area Rug: Nevis Promenade Rust 7' 10" Round
Home Depot
Eastwood Ottoman - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Town Square Ceiling Fan by Monte Carlo Fans
$356.00 | Lumens
Gray Chartreuse Yellow and White Polyester Filled 22 x 22 Pillow
$39.60 | Bellacor
Hand-tufted Contemporary Blue Papillion New Zealand Wool Abstract Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Infratech Interior Wall Mount Dual Duplex Switch with Waterproof Cover - 14 4315
$179.00 | Hayneedle
VIG Furniture - EV 3330 - Modern Espresso Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™