buying- check, selling- uh,oh
We had to move due to job relocation. Bought a lovely house, very happy with it. Our old house has not sold yet, been on market since Labor Day, a couple of showings, no offers. Reduced price once.
The house is currently empty. Based on my research, it seems staging may help? Expect to pay 2% of house value for staging (which would equal about $3400. Add that to real estate commission and we are darn close to getting upside down. We can afford to pay 2 mortgages for a while, although of course would rather use that other $1200/month to pay off debts and invest. I don't know whether to keep price same and stage now, wait and see what spring brings and possibly save that $3400 although we'd be out the carrying costs, or what to do. This is NOT a high-end neighborhood, but the prices have remained remarkably stable throughout this RE mess because of close proximity to good stable jobs (Research Triangle Park) and amenities.
So should I stage now, during the slow market time, or wait? Anything else I should consider about staging? I have absolutely NO experience with it, and absolutely nothing that we have in our current home could go back to the old home, so I would probably have to rent, borrow, or buy cheaply or hire a stager. Again, I don't want to get to the closing table and owe money, but carrying this second mortgage is not fun either. We don't have much liquid assets to pay at closing table- most savings is in 401k, etc.