How to add acid

SteveScanJuly 21, 2012

Hi everyone. We've had our new pool in North Texas for a year now and are noticing the quartz plaster is getting rough around the main drain. I'm guessing it's from the large amounts of liquid acid we have to add. With 24,000 gallons, 20 hours per day filter time (mostly slow speed), salt water chlorine generator, and 25% generator setting, we're adding around 6 cups of acid every other day. I've been pouring it (probably too) quickly in front of a return jet in the deep end. Liquid hydrochloric acid is slightly heavier than water so maybe it's getting sucked into the main drain too quickly, pitting the plaster around the drain. Of course, I can add the acid more slowly, but would it be smart to use a slower pump speed or shut off the main drain, or walk the acid around the perimeter, or dilute with water first, or...? Advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyom

I mix 2 parts water, 1 part acid, adding the acid to the water.

I turn on my pump on high, my polaris to zoom around the floor and turn on my waterfall.

I then pour the acid in front a strong jet that shoots to the center of the pool.

I let all this run for 1-2 hours.
I then let the pump run another 2 hours.
Havent had an issue yet, seems to stir it up well.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirateslovebacon

What is your TA? A lower TA (60-80) can help minimize your your pH drift. If you're not already familiar with it, Google "pool school."

Also, you can use an index such as the CSI or LSI to determine if your water is corrosive, and it can be corrected. Google "pool calculator".

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™