Radiant heat, pex, and heating a new pool.

md2b78July 14, 2013

Hello all!

My house has radiant heat heat floors throughout, and they are heated using a geothermal heating system. It rocks.

Next, we want to install a pool in the backyard.

The question is: Can we use geothermal to heat the pool?

The idea is to line the floor and walls of the pool with hundreds of feet of radiant-capable pex before a final layer of concrete is put down (or vinyl?). Connect this to a geothermal unit and profit, am I right? In theory, it should heat the floor and walls of the pool the same way the floors of our home are heated.

I can't be the only person who has thought of this, but I can't find anything on the interwebs. Does anyone know where to look?

Thanks for your help. I am stumped.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theballs

Im not sure that running all that pex would maintain the integrity of the gunite shell. You may have to make the shell thicker than a normal shell, and i would think the pex would have to be awfully near the surface to transfer any heat to the water. Why not just use the geothermal to heat the pool water directly? If you are already heating up the water that is flowing in the pex, just build a normal shell, and put a second line on your geothermal unit that is a loop for the pool.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 11:13AM
zl700

It would be very ineffective, as the ground especially when wet acts as a heat sink. (warmth moves to cold)
As above poster sort of mentioned, a tube type stainless steel/titanium heat exchanger in the pool piping would be much more effective.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 1:36PM
cascade

I've built a pool heated this way. The owner loves it and swears that it is wonderfully efficient but I have no data to support this.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:10AM
grtone

I have built many pools this way, very efficient heating water from the bottom up. Two above are kind of correct, you must put a barrier between the earth and shell, I use a foil type bubble barrier on the floor and up the walls, be sure to use multiple zones and allow for your delta-t not to be more than 5 degrees different between zones. I also have used heat exchangers, I will always use a deep heat side wall return in the deep end only, mixes the water well. good luck

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 3:58AM
More Discussions
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™