GE Cafe Oven has huge vents openings. Does food fall in?

NYMKMarch 15, 2013

I was looking at the GE Cafe Oven with the baking drawer and I was all set to buy it when my friend pointed out how big the vents were on the stovetop. The oven vents out all the way in the back of the stovetop. The holes are pretty large. Definitely easy enough for a chocolate chip to fall through there.... well easy enough for us messy cooks. Has anyone had a problem with this? Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

so far I haven't dropped chocolate chips or anything else down there - at least that I know of. ;)

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:29PM
trav86

Aah! Now I want to send a probe down there to see what I've dropped (I'm definitely a messy cook...).

Seriously, this never occurred to me. The vents are in the back and I'm not usually flipping things around back there, but you never know.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:46PM
loree_s

We've had our GE Cafe range for 2 1/2 years and never spilled anything in that direction.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:27AM
jellytoast

Finally ... someone besides me who notices these things (so, yes, I know exactly what you are talking about!) Unfortunately, I have no solution for you as all ranges seem to have some openings for food to fall into and disappear, though some appear to be worse than others.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:46AM
weissman

Don't worry - the mice will eat any food that falls down there :-)

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 2:19AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

So, are there frequent instances of food being flung willy nilly about you kitchen? I thought food fights were only in school cafeterias!

5 years. 0 problems.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:04AM
NYMK

Good to know that the current owners aren't haven't any problems.

Hollysprings, as I get older, I seem to be getting messier. So we don't even need to worry about food fights ... just getting messier me :)

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:02AM
rikerk

We have GE Cafe for almost 2 years now, no problems with food getting into the vents.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:36AM
isnoop

I just lost a shrimp down my vent and I landed here trying to figure out how to extract it!

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 12:35AM
isnoop

Fast forward two hours, I got the shrimp out. There are four ducts that go down from that back grille. The outer two circulate air under the cooktop and are easy to fish things out of. The 2nd one from the left vents the lower oven and the 3rd one from the left vents the upper oven.

Fortunately, my nose led me to the right vent. I could smell which duct held the freshly cooked shrimp and I set to fish it out with a coat hanger, grippy claw tool, and other devices. Ultimately, I found a small dentist's mirror and was able to visually explore the space. From there, I determined that it had fallen down into the baking area itself and was on top of the heat reflector shield for the broiler.

What a mess! I'll be heading to the hardware store to get a bit of metal mesh to keep this from happening again!

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 2:04AM
greenhaven

What a riot! That would be me if I ever cooked shrimp. The very first day I used my new stove I accidentally flung taco meat doqn the crack between stove and cabinet. I need one of those gasket strips to over that.

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 6:21AM
jellytoast

I wondered if I was the only one deterred from buying that range because of those vents. They looked like an accident waiting to happen. Good idea to use mesh ... will you be able to hide it under the vents?

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 8:17AM
silken1

I don't have the GE Café, but I have a slide in GE Profile Induction range which has a back vent that sounds the same or similar to what you are discussing. I worried about splattering grease or dropping food in there too. But 9 months in and no problems.

I do think there is one advantage to that vent. I read lots of reviews and did lots of research before choosing this range. Some people with other models complained about warm air blowing at them from the front of the range on other models. At least all the venting is far away from you while you are standing there cooking on this model.

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™