Replacing DE filter unit. Cartridge or DE

DunveganJuly 8, 2013

Good morning,

I need to replace my failing DE filter and pump. What are your thoughts on switching to a cartridge filter system? What are your thoughts on increasing my pump hp to 1 1/2 hp from the 1 hp Hayward pump that just failed on me? 35,0000 gallon pool, 2" piping, distances to skimmers and bottom return are: 50', 60' (bottom return) and 80'. Distances to two "jets" for water coming back into pool are 70' each. I use an Aquabot vacuum that is totally independent of the filter system. I currently have a borrowed 2 hp pump. Old DE stainless tank just burst a pin hole sized hole. Does it ever end???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glitter_and_guns

I am a pretty new pool owner, but have done a lot of research on pools and there are a lot of people who seem very unhappy with their cartridge filters. DE is such a great filtering medium that I would sure go that way again if I had to make the decision. DE filters out the finest particles (I think we expect 6-8 microns with DE, Sand is something like 30 microns & the better cartridge units are somewhere between the two).

I know the marketing is that DE is more trouble to maintain, but backwashing once a month or so and cleaning the grids once a year isn't much work to me. I understand other people may have different ideas on that.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:36AM
Dunvegan

Agree with your point on DE. Not a big deal to me to wash off the grid a few times a year. Store was pushing cartridge filters. I don't like to be pushed in any direction, I'd rather a salesperson let me decide. I'm probably going to buy a Hayward 1 1/2 Super pump II and match with a new DE filter system. Checking out what size to get now.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:52AM
Dunvegan

Now I'm leaning towards a Pentair quad DE. Any thoughts out there on what size?? The 60 would seem to be a good fit. Thoughts????

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:48PM
mongoct

I just replaced the same two things as you, my pump and my filter.

Old filter was a Pentair C&C 240. I replaced it with a Pentair Quad 100DE. The filter is certainly oversized for my pool (about 25000 gallons), but all that means is that it can filter longer before I have to clean it.

The filter has been great so far. Zero issues. Pool has been running for 3 months and the pressure has only increased one or two psi. So I'll probably just have to clean it once, at the end of the season.

Pump. I recommend you get away from a single speed pump. You don't need high GPM to run your cleaner, so your better bet from the perspective of energy usage would be to use a lower flow pump with an efficient motor.

You can go with a 2-speed and run it on low. Or go further. I installed a Pentair Intelliflo VS. About $800. I run it at a lower speed but for longer hours to get the proper turnover. Compared to my old single-speed pump (1-1/2hp Pentair Whisperflo) the new pump has been saving me about $65 per month. I use my pool 8 months out of the year, so the pump will have paid for itself after 1-1/2 seasons of use.

So...I do like the Quad DE. And I really like the Pentair VS pump.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:05AM
Dunvegan

Thanks. Your post was helpful. I'm going to get the Quad 80 and clean it a few times a year. I'm cleaning my disfunctional DE filter almost bi-weekly now, so a few times a year would be great. Now to find a place that I can pick it up in the metro NEw York City area. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 3:17PM
mongoct

I was originally going to go with the Quad 80 as well, but with the small price differential between the 80 and the 100 I went with the 100.

I ordered online. No issues with order or delivery. I'm next door in CT.

backyardpoolsuperstore dot com

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™