Sewing or Football???

K8OrlandoFebruary 5, 2012

It's not quilted, but I'm very happy to have completed the top (40"x40") for the donation quilt. I did the center mariners' compass last weekend, then added the borders this weekend. The sun face images are from a Laurel Burch panel called Celestial Dreams. I was actually done in time to join the neighbor's for their superbowl party this evening.

Searching through my stash, I found a pretty multicolor batik that will work for the backing. There won't be much room to spare but there's enough. I'll use up every scrap of the yellow fabric for the binding too, but again, there's just enough to do it.

If I'm really diligent I might even get it done before Friday when the ALS group has their next fundraising. We're working out the details on how to do the quilt raffle and aren't ready to start it yet, but it would be fun to bring it to the Walk to show everyone.

The colors in the picture came out a little dark. The two inner borders and the first two dark stripes in the outer triangles are blue and purple. In the picture it just looks like one black stripe. I'll post a better picture when it's all done.

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifer_in_va

Great mariner's compass!!! Love the graphic-ness of it all! Well done and good use of a LB fabric!

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 10:49PM
lindaoh_gw

Great quilt! What are your plans for quilting it?
Linda OH

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 11:03PM
K8Orlando

I don't know how to quilt it. I can do a nice FM meander but it doesnt seem like enough. My FM skills aren't good enough for anything really cool. I am going to use at least some metallic thread.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 11:24PM
loisflan

Wow, Kate, that is so creative and well executed. I hope that someday I will be able to do more than simply reproduce someone elses ideas. Until then, I'll just keep doing and learning. Good job.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 2:05AM
magothyrivergirl

Good for you to get this far before the Game - nothing like a deadline to motivate!
Gorgeous! You are so creative using panels-something I want to get better at. This was a too busy Panel, even for LB; you successfully broke it down and highlighted each element beautifully.

Can you do FM bubbles or pebbles? They are easy, once you get going. They would look great in the white - bigger circles in the borders or a ribbon candy. The compass only needs something simple - I'm not good at SID.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 7:25AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Having 'just enough' fabric is all that's needed. @;) You certainly have an eye for combining fabric in an eye-pleasing way and it looks like a Blue Ribbon quilt to me.

Excellent!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 7:51AM
toolgranny

I love the graphic nature of this. I'm all for big and bold. It's just lovely. Let us know how the raffle does. Good job.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 8:21AM
K8Orlando

Thank you for the nice comments. This project is close to my heart. My ALS friend loves bold colors and even tho the quilt isn't for her, I wanted her to be pleased with it. I have a few of the sun face panel pieces left and am planning to make a similar quilt for her before she moves back to Puerto Rico this summer. Sadly, the ALS has started to progress more rapidly than we all hoped and she won't be able to work much longer. What a terrible disease this is! Did any of you see the segment that was broadcast on CBS Sunday Morning this past weekend? It was about an ALS physician who was diagnosed with the disease himself a few years ago. DH and I were both in tears by the end of the piece.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 8:34AM
karpet

Kate, I love how that turned out! I did see the segment on CBS, and then there was a segment before the Superbowl began about a former player with ALS.
Karlene

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 9:21AM
nanajayne

Kate,
I agree that ALS is a wicked condition. One of the worst in MHO. I am so sorry for your friend.
You have to be proud of you quilt. It is great. I love the fabric and I am not a big LB fan.
My suggestion for quilting a mariners compass is in the ditch. I just did a small one in SBQ and I feel that it makes the points very expressive. I have also done a pillow that way. Not sure about the rest but I know I would leave the suns plain. Really like what you have done with the fabric.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 10:03AM
luvtosharedivs

Excellent work, Kate!
One of my goals is to learn how to paper piece a mariners' compass.
Looking forward to seeing a photo of the finished project.

Julie

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 11:25AM
day2day

Kate, this is a wonderful quilt and made for such a worthy cause.
I like the layout and the colors are so vibrant.
You did a magnificent job with it.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 11:48AM
susan_on

Very striking and well executed! I love it!

I am sorry for your friend. It's very thoughtful of you to do something so caring for her. I'm sure that will mean a lot to her.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 11:57AM
fran1523

That is a beauty...so graphic and well executed. Well done.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 12:25PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Kate, I didn't see the segment, but I'm very aware of the disease and what it does to a person as one of my uncle's had it. I'm sure advances have been made since 1970 when he passed and it's donations like yours are what helps make it happen. Thank you.

SharonG/Fl

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 12:30PM
rosajoe_gw

WOW!!! That was money well spent on a book, I love it!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:34PM
calliope

What a wonderful choice of fabric! It's gorgeous.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:08AM
msmeow

Kate, that's a very striking quilt! I hope they find a way to raffle or auction it and it raises lots of money.

Donna

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:31AM
magothyrivergirl

Rosa - what book? did I miss a good book???

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:38AM
lafonda_ranch

The motif fabric is such a wonderful inspiration! I love the mariners compass that surrounds it, too. And I'm a batik fan, so the rest goes without saying. Beautiful!

Robbi

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 1:55PM
K8Orlando

Marsha,
A couple weeks ago Rosajoe posted that she had just bought a new book. First I laughed, then I found one too! It was the inspiration for this quilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa's post on books

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 2:18PM
magothyrivergirl

Thanks Kate - I thought I had lost my mine completely! I remember now ~ all the dust bunnies from that post got in my way! :~)
Rosa is right ~ great use of that book!

I also wanted to say how wonderful what you are doing to help educate and fight ALS ~ ~ sorry for your friend. Start thinking about a very special Inspirational label for her quilt. Some labels are more meaningful than others.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™