Penny Haren's Pieced Applique'

bee0hioFebruary 3, 2011

Has anyone used this technique?

I have Penny's first book & have seen her demo the technique a couple of time, but I've not done it myself. We had her as a guest speaker @ our guild meeting this evening and we're having an all day workshop by Penny on Feb 12.

I am really psyched! She is such a dynamo, omg she has abounding energy!! I'll probably have to take a 2 day rest after the workshop! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Her website (she also has youtube video demos--google her name)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosajoe_gw

I have watched her videos. It appears that none of the fabric is trimmed away from the bottom of the block. Are the quilts heavy?? Have fun and keep us informed.
Rosa

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 12:39PM
petalpatsy

Hmmmmmm.

Hmmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(Very interesting.) Holy cow, might I have to buy ANOTHER quilting book???? And ruler, no less.

Right off the top, it seems like you could trim out the extra layer after the top applique was stitched into place if you wanted to, say, hand quilt it.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 4:27PM
bee0hio

Rosa, she doesn't trim anything out. She uses a light weight batting & the quilts were not heavy.

LOL Patsy! It's always something more isn't it!! Several of my guild members have made quilts with this technique & one has given lessons @ a LQS. In fact the quilt that won viewers' "Best of Show" @ our guilds show last summer was using Penny's technique. I'll try to find a pic of it. I'll have to ask her if she knows of anyone who has hand quilted one. I know Penny's not and HQer.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 9:01PM
bee0hio

Here's a pic of our "Best of Show" @ last summer's guild show, using the pieced applique' method. (The colors are off a bit in the pic, actually are navy, gray & cream. It's a beauty & well deserved BoS.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 10:34AM
cindykg23

WOW!! Gorgeous quilt!! Certainly deserving! If the results are that beautiful, guess I'll have to check out this technique! :)

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 11:42AM
rosajoe_gw

It is gorgeous!!!! Keep us informed, it does look like a great idea.
Rosa

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 12:04PM
petalpatsy

My oh my! That's a heck of a quilt! I appreciate the quilting design inside those border scallops, and the contrast with the straight parallel lines inside the sashing.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™