Hand quilting on a standing frame

marti8aFebruary 4, 2012

I haven't hand quilted in a few years, and then it was with a round lap hoop. I joined a group recently that quilts on standing frame, and I couldn't do it. For one thing, it was a lot tighter than my round hoop, but I don't know if that was the only problem.

How do you hand quilt when the quilt is in the frame tight? And what direction do you find it easiest, stitching toward yourself or away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

I have a standing frame and have hand quilted 2, 1 a king, and the other a queen sized quilt. Having done that I must say that I prefer to quilt on a round hoop in my lap which is what I am doing at the moment.
I found it more difficult on the tighter quilt but the greatest problem was with reversing my needle and stitching towards myself. It took a lot of practice to develop that technique.
It has been a while since I used the frame but I believe that it required more coordination between the hands as the needle was passed.
There are probable others that can answer your question with more current input but I think practice is probably one factor in developing a new technique.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 11:59PM
calliope

Up until last year, I'd always quilted with a large oval lap frame. My DD lent me her floor frame on which my latest project is being quilted. I don't think I'll ever use a lap frame again. That being said, I had the same feelings as you until I'd put in some time on the floor frame.

Yes, it's harder to get used to the tight material if that's how the rest of the group prefers it. I find it easiest to quilt from top to bottom and right to left. The chair I use at the frame has wheels and I find myself shifting position often. I am not so sure I'd do well in a group, confined to a small area.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 6:07AM
ritaweeda

I've hand-quilted on 2 different standing frames (1 queen-sized and one lap-size). One was the hoop on a stand and the other was a square four-footed standard frame. My back can't take it now. And I wouldn't be able to do it at all on a tight hoop. I've also quilted in a lap frame and it's not much better. Now if I want to hand-quilt, I've learned to do it without a frame at all sitting in front of a large work table. My left hand can control and adjust the quilt much better and I can turn the quilt around easily and stay in the same spot, no hunching over a large frame. It took some time to get it but now I wouldn't try it in a hoop again.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Sponsored Products
AHB Bryant 24 in. Counter Stool - Espresso - Set of 2 - 124766ES-L15
$599.90 | Hayneedle
David Bromstad "Sauvignon Blanc" Artwork
Grandin Road
Croquet Club Outdoor Coffee Table, Patio Furniture
$937.00 | FRONTGATE
Welles Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Sofa Compact
YLiving.com