Pool Concrete Decking

DunnstationJuly 17, 2012

I recently had an inground pool installed. The concrete work was just completed and it looks terrible. There are cracks (withith 2 weeks of pour) and it looks discolored and has rough spots. I'm not sure what can be done to correct these problems. Should I have the contractor take it all out and have it redone? Is this possible? Or is there some other remedy? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseypool

Let's take a look. Can you attach some pix?

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Speckledhen

I read your message and thought it was my post from a few months ago! I was in the same situation. PB installed the concrete deck (after trying for weeks to convince me to go with pavers) and it came out terrible. Cracks after LESS than two weeks, uneven, sloppy finish work, expansion joints in the wrong place, water would pool in spots to make puddles, etc.... I told him I was unhappy but he refused to re-do it. Luckily I hadn't paid him so I took that (plus more to have it done correctly) and had it ripped out and replaced. I spoke to at least 6 masons and they all said it was unacceptable work. They also said that the length of time it took the PB to do the work made the concrete essentially "cook" in the truck before it was ever laid down. It was this fact alone that made me want to rip it out as opposed to going over it with a Spray Deck or some other material because who knew how bad the structural integrity of the cement had been compromised.
My argument to the PB was that I paid all this money for a beautiful pool, only to have the most visible aspect of it look like it was 15 years old!
So what I did was take a lot of pictures, call the cement company to get the times of arrival and departure at site (anything over 1.5 hrs isn't good)and get a lot of opinions from other masons. Hopefully your guy will want to do the right thing. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™