how to arrange table and chairs in sunroom off kitchen

rufinoroxApril 27, 2010

I'm in the process of placing our furniture in our sunroom, which we plan to use as our eating area. I'll need help deciding how to arrange the table and chairs. The furniture pictured is furniture I've had for almost 10 years, it doesn't really match the kitchen decor, unfortuntaley its not in the budget to replace right now so it will have to do. The great thing is the table opens to sit 10-12 people.

Ok so there is a small step down right off the kitchen so I'm concerned the table will take up too much space around the walk thru of the kitchen. Here are some pictures I took of the chairs on top of the rug (which is temporary until I replace with a new one) to give an idea in which direction I plan to place the table. Also, the chairs have black seat covers which can be replaced. I removed one from the chair, which color do you think would work better? The table is all wood and the same color of the chairs. Lastly, I plan to place 2 counter stools that are a dark wood (similar to the kitchen cabinets).

Any ideas? What color should the rug be? should it be bigger?

here are the chairs with and without the cover.

here is the first positioning as you can see the entrance of the kitchen behind the chairs. This set up will allow 2 chairs on the left and right and 1 chair by the window and opposite side.

this position will allow 2 chairs against the wall of the window and 1 chair at the entrance. I think I like this better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yborgal

I think I'd like the table placed as shown in the first picture and the chairs as you have them in the second picture.

Could that arrangement work?

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 8:32PM
rufinorox

monablair - are you referring to pic 2 and 3? shoud I use all six chairs or just four?

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 8:41PM
yborgal

Right...pictures 2 and 3

If they fit, you could have the 6 chairs at the table.

Do you usually have 4 or 6 people eating at the table? The problem with having 6 chairs at the table when only 4 are sitting is that the long side of the table is unbalanced. With 4 chairs then each person is centered on his/her side of the table. Do you follow what I'm saying?

If you only use 4, where would you put the other 2?

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:03PM
rufinorox

Yes I agree with what you're saying. Usually its not more than 4 of us and if we are more I would open the table up to be more comfortable. The other chairs coudl be placed in another room or the basement not to clutter this room with any more furniture then needed.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:07PM
justgotabme

I'd like to know the dimensions of the room and the table before commenting on which would work best. When in doubt I measure everything and make a floor plan. Either online using graph paper and Windows Paint program or on real life graph paper. In our last home I made layouts for most room with cut outs of all my furniture. So much easier to get a feel for how things could work. I have graph paper and furniture for use with Paint if you'd like it PM me through clicking on my nick name.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:17PM
les917

I would like to see the whole space to judge what is possible. Also, what does the table look like?

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:17PM
rufinorox

here's a picture of the table and a view of the space from the kitchen.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:36PM
les917

Would you consider getting a piece of plywood cut in a circle to sit on the top of the existing table? Cover it with a long cloth, and you should be able to sit six with no problem.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:07AM
justgotabme

Thanks for the extra pictures. Will you have barstools up the overhang? If so I like the way you have the table in the last photo.
I like Les's idea of a round top cut to fit over the current table top.
Love the chairs in the last photo too.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 1:15AM
rufinorox

My DH hates the idea of a round table. My sister-in-law actua;;y has one she can give us, but we'd rather not. I do plan to have 2 stools at the penisula.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 6:40AM
yborgal

If there's a step-up to the kitchen, how will you extend the table to seat 12 if you position it as shown in your last photo?

And how will you be using the space at the other end of the room?
As a conversation spot so people can visit while you're preparing a meal?

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:15AM
justgotabme

Yep, I'd go for it on a day to day basis as you have shown in the last photo. When you need to extend the table you can always turn it and move the stools if need be. Our sunroom is both my hubby and my favorite room.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 6:48PM
rufinorox

monablair - we would have to turn the table in order to open it up. On the other end we plan to have our stools under the penisula and plan to use it as you mentioned a place to mingle while I'm in the kitchen. I'm not sure if the space will be too cluttered, but were considering a small sitting area, maybe a storage bench similar to this or these sitting stools.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tanner-stool/popup/more-views.html#hero-image

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Furniture/Furniture/tabid/519/CategoryID/157/List/0/catpagesize/0/Level/a/ProductID/3039/ProductName/Zahir-Storage-Bench/Default.aspx

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:01PM
yborgal

That works for me.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:31PM
rufinorox

thanks to everyone ... I'll post some pictures once I get everything together.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
SW Kilm Beige
If you have used this color, would you please tell...
boystown
Ikea mattresses
We need to get a new twin mattress for my DS (9). ...
jlc712
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™