Lighting? Ott?

susan_onFebruary 18, 2012

I was wondering if anyone here uses any Ott lighting, or any other type of extra lighting. I've been researching and was surprised and disappointed to see that the Ott lights/lamps have numerous poor reviews. I did do a search on this forum, and saw a short thread on lighting from 2010, so I wanted to ask again to see if anyone has anything new to add. I really need some supplemental lighting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I have a desk top flip-up Ott. It's ok but I think there's something better out there. I bought my DH a floor model similar to an Ott....can't think of the name right now, and it's excellent! I'll check for the name the next time I get up......if I remember......sigh.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:14PM
magothyrivergirl

This light will be the best 10 bucks you ever spend!
I am serious - I have 3 of them and 2 clamp on.
At a recent workshop given by Bonnie Hunter - she pointed out to everyone I had the the most terrific light ever!
She uses them , travels with them, and was going to stop at Ikea on her drive home to look at the floor light and buy another.
I have several OTT lights - I use them, because they are so darn expensive - but I really love my $10.00 light from Ikea. It is flexible, and you can point it exactly where you need additional light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Light

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:23PM
nanny98

I have answered before....Love my 4 OTT lights. Some are better than others, it seams....but I have been lucky I guess. One of mine burned out and replacing bulbs from Wallys just burned out immediately, so cashed in a half off coupon at Joann's (and got the real deal @ $15. or so) and we are living happily ever after. Original one is still wonderful after 8 years or so in our Motorhome so it travels.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 10:45PM
K8Orlando

The Otts are fine but check out the price of replacement bulbs before you decide to buy one.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:31PM
nanajayne

I have a desk and a floor ott light. Like them both. Have had them for several years without bulb replacement. They are expensive. I also have an industural clamp on that I uses by my sewing machine that clamps to a shelf edge. Really like it. That was taken from my DH workshop.
The Ikea light looks great. Where are they available?
Would like to check them out.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:52PM
ritaweeda

I have two, one I just got for Christmas with the magnifier. If you spend a lot of time sewing they are supposed to be easier on the eyes. The best use for them for me is when I do landscape paintings in pastel because they produce a more natural full-spectrum light so that you see the colors truer. In other words, when you work under these lights, the art looks more natural when displayed on the wall. I do think that they are very expensive and so are the replacement bulbs, I know there are cheaper alternatives out there if you look.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 10:12AM
susan_on

Thanks. I really need better lighting for my quilting/sewing and cookie and cake decorating. If I buy an Ott light, I will use a 50% discount coupon; but I will keep looking at other brands.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 11:13AM
K8Orlando

If you don't have an IKEA close to you, the light can be ordered on line. I have one by my reading spot in my sewing room and love it. Very directional and very bright. I don't have a clamp-on one tho and now I think I may need a couple!

(MRG - we should probably NEVER go shopping together! I think we like too many of the same things and would be a bad influence on each other!)

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
2010 Birthday blocks together.
Haven't posted much lately as I had pneumonia from...
nanajayne
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™