Dark waterline tile and scum

gongorasJuly 7, 2011

I have decided on two glass mosaics as my tile. One of which will be a dark multicolored luster mosaic and the other will be a light white silvery luster mosaic. For design purposes the dark mosaic will be on the accent areas and the light mosaic will be on the rest of the pool. The question is, I would like to bring my dark mosaic down into the water for aesthetics but I am afraid I am going to create myself a nightmare on maintenance due to waterline scum. another question, if I do get the dreaded waterline scum what are the remedies? I do plan on using a dark grout for the dark glass mosaic tiles (3/4"x3/4"). Accent areas are four pilasters, outside jacuzzi and tanning ledge. I can stop the dark tile before the waterline and then revert to light tile, but the effect will not be as pleasing. Comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neilaz

You will need to control your PH,CH and ALK. My CH is 400 out the tap so it is hard to control the calcium buildup. Just had someone out yesterday to blast it off. $350 :( Follow the attached table. If you are talking about scum as you say then weekly brushing will help

Here is a link that might be useful: langelier saturation index

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
Well, the Big Dig did not begin Monday. Our PB stopped...
suzfromtexas
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™