which is rt or wrong way

fincheloverFebruary 26, 2011

I am doing my quilt squares and wonder does it really matter how you put the sashing on. Should you place your sashing vertically or can you just put sashing completely around the blocks. I hope I made this understandable. Everyone on here are really helpful. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
polardreams

Finch - I think it is entirely up to you/ depends on what you want the finished quilt to look like. Some people put block/sashing/block/sashing etc. across the quilt (or down) then run a long sashing in the opposite direction with long sashing on the outsides of the blocks. I don't think there are any rules on this one. If you put sashing all the way around each block, you need to either have 2 parallel sides longer or put setting cornerstones between to accomodate for the sashing width. (does that make sense???)

Sue/polardream

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 6:17PM
calliope

Yes, the question makes sense, and like Sue says, there is not rule for it. However, you wouldn't put it ALL around each block and then assemble the blocks. If you did that, you'd have a double row of sashing between each block. If I am putting sashing on each block individually, I usually put it on bottom and right, that way when they go together the unsashed side of one block butts against the sashed side of the next. I don't put any sashing on the right side of the furthest to the right block, not on the bottom of the blocks on the lowest row. That way none of the exterior blocks have sashing on the outside. When finished, then I swing a row of border around the whole quilt.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 6:40PM
teresa_nc7

Being the "sashing challenged" quilter that I am, I do it in the manner that calliope described. If I try to use long sashing strips, I get into big trouble and the whole thing starts to look wonky.

Teresa

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 7:03PM
tuppermom

The only time that I put sashing around the whole block is when I need to use coping strips.....to enable me to cope with blocks that are not all the same size. Let's face it, everybody's 1/4 inch is slightly different so when you participate in block exchanges all of the blocks will not be the same size and therefore I need to use coping strips!
Mary

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:32AM
day2day

I don't think that there's a right or wrong way. I do like Mary. I only use sashing around the whole block when I need to square up the blocks. I made some 16-patch blocks and some were 'off' so I framed the whole block and trimmed them.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 7:23AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Mary, 'Coping strips!' I love it!!!!! lol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:09AM
calliope

I love the term too. It speaks for itself. However, just having attached sashing to two sides still works if it's just off a matter of a quarter inch or so and you don't have that seam down the middle of your sash. I get by with it that way so far.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:50PM
K8Orlando

"Coping strips"! I've just learned a new term and I love it!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™