Barn wood siding

czizkaApril 2, 2014

Hi

We've taken the siding off of our barn and want to use it for wainscoting along the stairwell and hallways of our home. We've pressure washed the wood to take away the faded red (now pink) paint and are using Rust-Oleums driftwood stain. It looks great! But I also want to use some of this in the bathrooms and I thought I wanted to paint it white for the bathrooms. This does not look so good! The heavy white paint looks very wrong. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

use Golden Oak stain with satin polyurethane for protection.

The wood itself is gorgeous. Don't hide it behind paint. I also had a barn torn down. My master bathroom mirror is made from the wood, as are a sideboard in my dining room and a shelf behind my sofa. All stained with Golden Oak, protected with satin poly, and they are beautiful.

My father made the mirror and sideboard for me.

I am one who completely admires what you are doing.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:56PM
crl_

What happens if you white wash it? So it's not a heavy coat of paint, but still some white?

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:58PM
robo (z6a)

Sarah Richardson used a white stain that looked lovely. It would be more solid than whitewash and might be an alternative to white paint:

"One of the most popular questions I get is whether you can whitewash over existing panelling that has been finished, lacquered, urethaned or stained. The answer is no, you cannot whitewash over a pre-existing finish as the original stain or finish will create a barrier, and the whitewash will not be able to penetrate to the wood. You can, however, use solid stain over old panelling and it looks terrific."

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint it whitewash

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:05PM
marti8a

We did that one time. You might need to spray with an insecticide before you install it. Ours became spider heaven.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
There has been much lighting talk… thought I'd share my new chandy's
We are trying to wrap up our new build. Still a way...
aktillery9
Kitchen window help, please
The kitchen puzzle pieces are falling into place! I...
springroz
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
tibbrix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™