Joan Kessler for Concord fabrics???

chickadee__3aFebruary 11, 2010

Does anyone recognize or know anything about this brand of fabric? I've just received 3 bins of fabric (free and unused) from someone who is clearing out a house. Many of the pieces have "Joan Kessler for Concord Fabric" printed on the selvedge. They seem to calico type fabric and I'm wondering how they'll wash an wear after being made into quilts. Anyone familiar with the name? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solstice98

I did a quick search for you and found that she designed fabrics - mostly florals in browns and blues - for Concord from 1975 to 1995. Apparently it was very well known to quilters, especially in the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

I attached a link to a forum from 2006 (not a GardenWeb forum) where I got most of the information. If you go to the site and search for 'Kessler' it will highlight the posts about her.

But to answer your question: it sounds like it should be quality fabric from a well known manufacturer and it's not terribly old. I would wash and dry it before using it because you might have problems with shrinking.

Hope that helps,
Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: quilt history discussion forum

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 5:23PM
odessaquilts

I believe that most of those fabrics were sold at JoAnn's. I still have some! Some of them were terrific, some not so much. Kate's right, though: wash and dry them first, to see how they'll hold up, then make something lovely!

Odessa

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 7:19PM
nanajayne

I have some of them in my stash. I have had no real problems with them. I bought them when I was relatively new to quilting but have other preference now but can find little fault with the quality. Jayne

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 8:35PM
mary_c_gw

I'd use the fabrics with no qualms at all. Concord Fabrics is a quality producer. I wouldn't expect any more bleeding or shrinkage than I would from a fabric from this year.

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 9:26PM
chickadee__3a

Thanks so much to all of you. I always wash before cutting so it will be interesting to see how all this stuff washes. It's not all Concord fabric, but I think is all 100% cotton. A few I'll have to do the burn test on. There are a couple of strange pieces (Concord) that are as stiff as lightweight cardboard. I've washed one piece and it's still stiff-almost crispy feeling-strange stuff.
Looking at all this fabric reminds me of an old fashioned looking traditional block quilt. I'll add it to my list od "to do's. I'd also like to try a rag quilt made wth calicos instead of flannel. I saw one in a magazine and it was very pretty.

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 12:01PM
kjlou_roadrunner_com

does anyone have 5 yards of Joan Kessler floral print in blue/pink with ecru background for sale? there are muted yellow flowers as well.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Sponsored Products
Beige Upholstered Maple Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Eastwood Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Skye Outdoor Bolster Pillow, Patio Furniture
$108.00 | FRONTGATE
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. Bronze Outdoor Table Lam
Home Depot
White Minky Fitted Crib Sheet
$28.99 | zulily
Juliette Cr�me Velvet Button-tufted Ottoman
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 83984 Candence 4 Light Chandelier in Chrome Finish - 83984-CH
$528.00 | Hayneedle
Gold End Table Lamp: 31 in. Champagne Antiqued Gold Leaf Table Lamp 26262
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™