How close can a peninsula come to a doorway?

chinchetteMarch 11, 2013

This is the gutted kitchen on my flip house. Its an L. The sink and dishwasher will be on the short end. Its a small house, small space. The long wall is 14.5 feet to the point that you see the mark on the wall where the old run ended. That door is to the bedrooms and a bathroom. The other door is to the livingroom. The little breakfast area is where you see the sun shining in, of course, past the doorways. There are two sliding glass doors.

What is the max you think I can skootch the peninsula down the wall towards the door? Mainly, I want the granite to extend so there is enough width the peninsula. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Molly Phillips

Are you wanting stools there? We had a similar situation and the base cabinets ended at about 10 inches from the opening. We extended our quartz out 7 inches from there and then began an arch that went to 16 inches before ending at 7 inches on the other side...but we wanted seating there and our opening went out to the living room side. We also got rid of our breakfast area and made that more of a walkway so there was plenty of room for breathing space.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 9:43PM
chinchette

There is not enough room for stool there with the walkway too close.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:38AM
chinchette

Oh, I see what you mean. Your stools are not near the door.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:40AM
Molly Phillips

No, but we did have to make sure there was enough walkway space. Our opening to the LR is very wide, though - 56". If you aren't going to have stools there, you can go up to 2" I bet - our old cabinets had 3.5" of space before the opening.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 9:17AM
chinchette

Seems like 3.5 is okay number. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:24AM
chinchette

The guy who is templating is suggesting that the granite come right up to the doorway. What do you think? It still is only about 33" wide.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:32AM
itsallaboutthefood

We have our peninsula start at the sliding glass door to our backyard (which is a 7 foot door, but of course, only opens 3.5 feet). We added a rounded overhang, but on the other end of the peninsula, not at the door. You can see what I mean in this picture. Our overhang seats 2 comfortably.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:51AM
chinchette

That's an interesting solution. I think my template guy was right on my installation. I'm going to go with it flush to the door. I saw the mock-up today.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™