Poppies - finally quilted!

K8OrlandoFebruary 13, 2012

This is a small wallhanging quilt, just 36"x36", and most of it is a furoshiki cloth. It should have been done in an evening, but it's taken me two months! At the Jax quilt show last fall I saw a demo of these cloths used for cleverly tied purses or gift wraps. I thought this bright poppies furoshiki would look good on my office wall, so I added a pieced black/white border and some gold metallic piping. But when it came time to quilt it I froze! I wanted to do kind of an echo thing but just didn't trust my free motion skills, even though it will be up on the wall where people won't be able to see it very well. Last week I finally bought the open-toe fm foot and decided it was time to attack this quilt!

I'm pretty happy with it but wouldn't want anyone to see the back or to look at it too closely!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Furoshiki Gift Wrapping Cloths

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

I think it came out scrumptious!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 4:40PM
nannykins

Beautiful!!!!
Theresa

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:38PM
msmeow

Kate, it's beautiful! Congrats on finishing it.

Donna

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 6:57PM
faintheart

It's adorable, Kate! I love that poppy print and the border setting is perfect. Great work!

Dee

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:26PM
toolgranny

I love it, too. I've had a "poppies" inside my head for a long time but can't seem to let it out. Someday. Your's is brilliant!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:33PM
loisflan

Very pretty, Kate. I think you did a great job quilting it. Hope your birthday was memorable.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 8:02PM
magothyrivergirl

Very pretty! The black and white border is perfect - love the quilting and the piping!

I looked at the link - really cool fabrics!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 8:34PM
bev2009

I love black, red and white together. It's beautiful!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 9:02PM
luvtosharedivs

I'm looking at it closely, and Love, Love, LOVE the glittery quilting on the leaf! You should also be proud of your echo quilting. The piping adds a lovely texture between the red background and border.

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 10:32PM
nanajayne

Cleaver use of materials. It turned out perfect for a wall hanging and ofcourse the colors are wonderful togeather. Like it a lot. TFS

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 10:33PM
day2day

Your wall hanging is beautiful. I think it will look wonderful on your office wall.
You did a great job.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 7:19AM
lola99

I agree with the other comments, you did a very nice job. I especially like the veins on your leaf.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 9:45AM
fran1523

It's stunning. It will look great in your office.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:18AM
bozogardener

This is a beautiful hanging! So artistic.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 3:06PM
K8Orlando

I had sewn a sleeve along the back to hang this quilt, but when we put it up it just didn't seem to fill up the space the way I wanted. So I took it down and added tabs along the top and beading along the bottom. I'm pleased with the changes!

I wanted the quilt to be visible from the street for people walking by and it is with the red really standing out against the creamy yellow walls! This isn't a good picture because it was taken outside at night, looking in, but it gives you an idea of how it looks. (I see McQueen got into the act, looking out.)

Kate

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 9:00PM
magothyrivergirl

It is beautiful......so is McQueen :)
The beads remind me of dew drops.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 9:20PM
missflippins

Kate, your work is exquisite! A real treat to see through your window. McQueen looks so proud to be in the picture. Thanks so much for showing what is possible - maybe - someday.

Best Wishes - Corinne

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 11:00PM
lindaoh_gw

Beautiful!
Linda OH

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 8:11AM
K8Orlando

"Thanks so much for showing what is possible - maybe - someday."
Corinne, I appreciate your words and I hope it inspires you to try something new, but I can't take much credit for this one! The entire center is a pretty furoshiki (kind of an Oriental scarf). All I did was add one border (see quilterscache.com for the border pattern) and some messy quilting! I really like the way it turned out but there wasn't much skill involved in this one. If you have a scarf you like but don't wear much, this would be a good project - turn it into a wall hanging!

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:20AM
bev2009

It looks beautiful hung. I'm glad you finished it. I wish I could see it in person. What did you do to the scarf itself, as far as stitching other than quilting? Was all the detail already there in the scarf? I just don't have enough experience to know.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 10:42AM
K8Orlando

This might show the detail a little better, Bev. I quilted the scarf, which was smooth before I started, with an echo around the images. I did use some of the big red spaces to quilt in a couple more flowers - I think you can see one in the picture to the far right. I wish I had done the border quilting differently but it's OK; I wanted them to be plain and not detract from the center portion but the stitching in the border ended up being too plain for my taste. I kind of thread painted the pink parts on the flowers with matching pink thread. I used a little metallic thread around the edges of the poppies, and their centers, and down the stems. It's all pretty free form.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 11:35AM
bev2009

Thanks for the close up and explanation. I had to look up what tread painting was..probably why I didn't understand what you had done in the first place. So much to learn....

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™