Tigerwood Sample...Not as hard and not as pretty

one2manyButNotEnoughDecember 7, 2012

Today I received a sample of tigerwood. I put olive oil on half the sample board and left the other half untouched. I was told this would simulate the color and look of a more "finish" look. Well, it turned more like honey oak color. Not exactly what I had in mind. To top it off, I thought hardwood is supposed to be hard. I can scratch the wood just by using my fingernails. Is this normal that I can scratch the wood just by using my fingernails? How do people get their tigerwood deck with that redish stunning color with unique tigerwood streak? I just don't want to spend a couple grand on materials only to end up with the look of uniform honey oak look, if you know what I mean. Attach is what the sample looks like.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Builder-Bob

All hardwood can still "scratch" with the swipe of a fingernail, what you shouldn't be able to do is leave an indent with the scratch like you could on a softwood.

As for the color your seeking I would suggest checking out Messmers UV plus for hardwoods. They have a Redwood tinted stain that might be what your looking for. I believe their site is just simply messmers.com.

Just using olive oil will give you the "natural look" w/ no tinting.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™