Crack in new Granite Installation

dantanaMarch 22, 2012

Had my granite installed yesterday. after the installers left, I discovered a crack running from the exact center of my sink corner to the back wall. it can be felt with my finger it is raised about 1/16". Installers said its a fissure and natural. although they are not found anywhere else. they said if it was a crack it would crack all the way thru. any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

post a pic?

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 9:00PM
dan1888

Check level for both sides of the fissure.. Look carefully at the underside for repair trace. It would be impossible to grind and finish a top surface and retain a raised line. Ask for a quality control customer service rep to schedule a visit. Retain any unpaid balance and put a hold on any check which hasn't cleared.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 9:06PM
boxerpups

pictures will help me see.
I am not an expert but I can give an opinion.
~boxer

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:40AM
srs148

I, too, have a crack in my granite on the front-side of the sink to the front-edge of the granite. They epoxied it and grinded it onsite, but i can feel it and see it if i look closely enough. They made the the 'mistake' of telling me before they repaired it (per the stoneshop owner), so they knocked off $300 from my total cost.

An important question to ask is whether or not they reinforced the granite with steel rods in the front and the rear of the sink opening. That will give you a better indication of whether or not the crack could worsen over time or if another area could crack. Also, be sure to have them epoxy it. The glue will keep that seam together long after the rest of the countertop has crumbled ;).

One bit of advice my granite guy gave me is that if i ever chip it and can find the chip, superglue it back in and it'll hold without issue. Now finding the chip when you do it is the magic part.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 12:06PM
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

An "inclusion" ia one thing. You can see it and is a natural part of granite. A crack, which is typically in the thinnest area....like on the front of the sink is NOT!

If you can "feel" it, it needs to be fixed.....there should be NO vertical cracks in your project. Either have them "Fix" it. (althought I don't know HOW) or have them replace it. YOUR money~YOUR job!

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
New Caesarstone Frosty Carrina & London Gray light marble looks
It seems these aren't in the states as yet but they...
blondelle
Photos of my almost done White and Walnut kitchen/mudroom remodel
It's been a long, hard road, but the end is finally...
tamarahl
Responsiveness of cabinet manufacturers
I was convinced that Barker was the cabinet company...
seb225
Sponsored Products
Curtainworks Kendall Grommet Curtain Panel - 1Q80370ABK
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Simmons BeautySleep Stapleton Plush Queen-size Mattress Set
Overstock.com
Steam Spa Royal Package for Steam Spa 12kW Steam Generators in Polished Brass
Beyond Stores
Weston One-Light Baltic Granite Outdoor Wall Light
$34.00 | Bellacor
Crystorama Regal Aged Brass Pendant Light
$498.00 | LuxeDecor
27187 Hand Held Remote by Hunter Fans
$68.40 | Lumens
Alliyah Handmade Watermelon New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
The Ceremonial Egg Ornament
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™